Would like a list of some good books

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books List
In summary, the conversation was about books that are similar to Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, as well as recommendations for science fiction and political books. Some suggestions included This Perfect Day by Ira Levine, the works of Kurt Vonnegut, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Other recommendations mentioned were Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, and works by Phillip K. Dick. There was also a suggestion for the book Anarchy, State, and Utopia by John Rawl. The conversation ended with a recommendation for The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and Seize the Night by Dean Koontz.
oldunion
My schools library is average i guess you could say. I just finished fahrenheit 451, i liked 1984, but my memory is not so good and I am wondering if people could list books similar to that.

Also id be interested in some sci-fi-political books if such existed, or maybe just a well written sci fi.

Physics news on Phys.org
A book similar to those two is This Perfect Day, by Ira Levine.

Kurt Vonnegut has some excellent Sci-Fi/Political books.

Slaughterhouse-Five and Sirens of Titan are my two personal favorite novels of his.

If you're looking for a short read, you might pick up God Bless You Dr. Kevorkian, which is also by Vonnegut. This one isn't a novel, but a compilation of "reports" on near death experiences. The premise is that Dr. Kevorkian was giving Vonnegut fractions of lethal injections, so that he would have a near death experience and get to interview dead people, then report on his encounters once the near death experience wore off.

Pretty much all of Vonnegut's work Sci-Fi and Political elements to it, and it's all exceedingly clever. I'd say Vonnegut's work easily blows away Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

Last edited:
my library has none of those available. this place is pretty beat, and I am on a college campus...i remember vonnegut though, i read slapstick once. good stuff.

what about a non-fiction alien type book?

You could pick up some book by Stephen King.
He isn't a bad writer.

slaughterhouse 5 is good, I've read most of it. the alien touch isn't too overdone either.

oldunion said:
my library has none of those available. this place is pretty beat, and I am on a college campus...i remember vonnegut though, i read slapstick once. good stuff.
what about a non-fiction alien type book?
Most libraries have programs where they can order books they don't have from other libraries, does yours?

And what do you mean by a "non-fiction alien type book"? Do you mean like a real account of aliens, or books of research on the existence of aliens?

Another random good book involving Sci-Fi stuff is The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and its sequels. My brother got all 5 books bound as one and entitled "The Hitchhiker's Trilogy", go figure...

Further Random stuff, Theodore Sturgeon is supposed to be an excelent Sci-Fi writer, very old-school, though I've never read any of his stuff.

Last edited:
I've been reading Greg Bear recently. He's a very good sci fi author in my opinion. He definitely fits in some political and sociological commentary. I haven't read much yet so I'm not sure what to suggest. I read a book of his short stories which were quite good and I just finished a book called Anvil of Stars which was quite good but it was a sequal and I didn't realize it. The book before it was called Forge of God.

It's not Sci Fi but I liked Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's a political satire of WWII. I'm reading the sequal Closing Time currently.

Franz Kafka is a classic satirist. His books are a bit drawn and dry though. If you think you have the patience for something dry I'd suggest The Trial, not being so bad as some of the others. That or his short stories.

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson I think you would enjoy from what I have gathered about your liking for conspiracy theories and so forth. And if you like that then the Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy. You may also like his Cosmic Trigger series and Quantum Psychology. Neither of the last two are fiction but a sort of anecdotal non-fiction.

Phillip K. Dick is one of my favorite sci fi authors. I'd recommend just about anything by him. Good starters might be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep(the book Bladerunner was based on) or The Man In Highcastle(a WWII what if). Clans of the Alphane Moon is a rather amusing one. It involves a colony in another solar system that was abandoned and the asylum inmates that were left behind have created their own society and government.

Ummm... I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

oldunion, ignore everybody else's suggestions. The book for you is definitely "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy%2C_State%2C_and_Utopia" [Broken]" by John Rawl.

if your university has an even half-decent political science program they should have both.

I can't really say if it's similar to Fahrenheit 451 or 1984 because (believe it or not) I've never read anything by Orwell except this one essay on the death penalty in English 12...
And I've never even heard of Fahrenheit 451, actually, what is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
wasteofo2 said:
Another random good book involving Sci-Fi stuff is The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and its sequels. My brother got all 5 books bound as one and entitled "The Hitchhiker's Trilogy", go figure...
:rofl: Not surprised.

Smurf said:
And I've never even heard of Fahrenheit 451, actually, what is it?
:eek:
READ IT!
It's a rather short sci fi novel by Ray Bradbury. It should take you a day tops, depending on how much time you can give to reading for leisure.

TheStatutoryApe said:
:eek:
READ IT!
It's a rather short sci fi novel by Ray Bradbury. It should take you a day tops, depending on how much time you can give to reading for leisure.
Seriously, what is it?

Smurf said:
Seriously, what is it?

firemen burn books in the common era, no one is allowed to read, society is bland, there are wars that kill everyone, scholars are outcast. i liked the ending, it was realistic.

ape, some of your books sound very interesting. after i read the perfect day and finish slaughterhouse 5 ill dive into them. reading is good, you kind of cherish it more after reading fahrenheit 451. go read it Smurf! now. go to the library.

Again, as always I will HIGHLY recommend, Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. Seven books, the first book is pretty bad, don't lose faith.

"Seize the Night" by other popular writer, Dean Koontz is also VERY good.

I liked them and again HIGHLY recommend the Dark Tower series. omg omg omg omg omg omg...!

If I'm recommending fiction books.

The Giver, Brave New World, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Amensia Moon...

Those're a few i liked.

"Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein.

A note on the second... don't judge the book by the movie. The movie was crap. They successfully managed to miss each and every point he was trying to make. The only thing which they got right was there were bugs in the book...

Yes, I've heard good things about the Starship Troopers book.
I've yet to read any Heinlein but he's on my list.

What are some good books to read?

Some good books to read are subjective and depend on personal preferences. However, popular books that are highly recommended by readers include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

Can you suggest any must-read books?

Again, this is subjective, but some books that are often considered must-reads include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "The Diary of Anne Frank" by Anne Frank, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

What genres do these recommended books fall under?

The recommended books listed above fall under various genres, including classic literature, dystopian fiction, romance, and fantasy.

Are there any recent books that are worth reading?

Yes, there are many recent books that are worth reading. Some popular recent titles include "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins, "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah, "Educated" by Tara Westover, "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng, and "Circe" by Madeline Miller.

Can you provide some non-fiction book recommendations?

Sure, some popular non-fiction books include "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.