Troubleshooting a Vowel-Removing & Duplicating Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to write two functions: one to remove all vowels from an input string and another to duplicate all vowels in an input string. The speaker provides a sample code for the first function but is struggling with modifying it to operate on the updated string in each iteration rather than the original string. There is also a side note about the return value of the function.
Erik Horwath
I need to write a function that takes an input string and returns it minus all vowels and another that returns it with each vowel duplicated. ie - in the first case, removeVowels("Zippy") would return "Zppy" and in the second case duplicateVowels("Zippy") would return "Ziippy". I know it is something obvious, but it won't come to me. I have been trying things along the line of:

def removeVowels(string):
vowels="AaEeIiOoUu"
for v in vowels:
if v in string:
newstring=string.replace(v," ")
print newstring

But i need some way to modify the statement newstring=string.replace(v," ") such that for each iteration in the for loop the dot replace method operates on the newstring from the previous iteration, not the original string. That is, in the current format removeVowels("lightbulb") returns "lightblb" not "lghtblb" Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
string = "hio"
vowels="AaEeIiOoUu"
for v in vowels:
if v in string:
string=string.replace(v," ")
print string

I'm not sure if you meant to say return or not, so I feel the need to point out that your function returns None, and not a string.

P.S. is there any particular reason why you're testing if v is in string?

Last edited:

1. What is a vowel-removing & duplicating function?

A vowel-removing & duplicating function is a programming function that takes in a word or sentence as input and removes all the vowels from it while duplicating any consonants that appear twice in a row. For example, the word "hello" would become "hlll" after going through this function.

2. Why would I need to troubleshoot a vowel-removing & duplicating function?

There may be errors in the code that cause the function to not work properly, or it may not work as expected for certain inputs. Troubleshooting will help identify and fix these issues.

3. How can I troubleshoot a vowel-removing & duplicating function?

To troubleshoot a vowel-removing & duplicating function, you can start by checking the code for any syntax errors or logical errors. You can also use a debugger to step through the code and see how it is executing. Additionally, you can use test cases with different inputs to see if the function is producing the desired output.

4. What are some common errors that can occur in a vowel-removing & duplicating function?

Some common errors in a vowel-removing & duplicating function include not properly handling edge cases, such as words with no vowels or words with only one vowel. Another error could be forgetting to reset the counter variable used for duplicating consonants, resulting in incorrect output.

5. How can I prevent errors in a vowel-removing & duplicating function?

To prevent errors in a vowel-removing & duplicating function, it is important to thoroughly test the code with different inputs and handle all possible edge cases. It is also helpful to use clear and concise variable names and to comment the code for better understanding and easier troubleshooting in the future.