PhD while having a job in academia.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of individuals with academic jobs pursuing another PhD in a different field while working at the same university. There are varying opinions and experiences shared, including individuals who have pursued this path and those who have not due to challenges and regulations. It is also mentioned that some individuals may choose to pursue another PhD for personal reasons, such as gaining more knowledge.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I am just looking to see if anyone knows people who have an academic job (as lecturers and/or researchers) and who have continued learning for another PhD (maybe part time) in another field in the same university?

Is this even allowed while you work at that university?

I am just wondering.

Thanks in advance. (yes it does seem to be masochistic :-)).

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are talking about "graduate students."

fss said:
:rofl:

fss said:

Ok, I will refine my query.

People who have a job in academia which pays more than a "grad-student stipends", and do another PhD?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
People who have a job in academia which pays more than a "grad-student stipends", and do another PhD?

I know several working professionals that do/have done part-time classes (usually via distance learning) to earn their PhD.

What do they work in?
And in what field is their latter PhDs?

History, Information Systems, English, Computer Science, Information Assurance, a few others I can't remember.

I knew a few people who took an instructor/lecturer position while in grad school, but they never ended up finishing their PhDs even though they intended to (there were in physics and astronomy). It might seem like a good idea at the time (experience, more pay) but they can really get in the way.

I am just looking to see if anyone knows people who have an academic job (as lecturers and/or researchers) and who have continued learning for another PhD (maybe part time) in another field in the same university?
I knew someone who had a phd from a foreign country and was a grad student in a different field in the states, but he was bound to all the same regulations as a grad student without a phd (so he couldn't teach certain classes, lower pay rate, etc.) Every school is different about what they allow and what they don't.

My community college general physics professor was a grad student AND lecturer at the nearby university, UMBC. He had a master's degree in electrical engineering and was a practicing EE for years before deciding to go to the Ph.D. program.

I imagine he's still working on the Ph.D, as it's only been a year since I last had him for a class.

Yes, I know a professor of Biology in a British university who decided to get another PhD about complex system in another country. Whether for sake of knowledge or not, he did.

Ll.

1. Can I pursue a PhD while working in academia?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD while working in academia. Many universities offer part-time and online PhD programs that allow students to balance their work and academic commitments.

2. How long does it take to complete a PhD while working in academia?

The time it takes to complete a PhD while working in academia varies depending on the program and the individual's pace. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 years to complete a PhD while working.

3. Will my job in academia help or hinder my PhD studies?

Having a job in academia can be beneficial for your PhD studies as it provides practical experience and access to resources. However, it can also be challenging to balance both commitments, so proper time management and communication with your employer is key.

4. Is it possible to receive funding for my PhD while working in academia?

Yes, there are funding opportunities available for individuals pursuing a PhD while working in academia. Many universities offer scholarships, grants, and fellowships specifically for part-time students.

5. Will my PhD have the same value if I complete it while working in academia?

Yes, a PhD obtained while working in academia holds the same value as a traditional PhD. As long as the program is accredited and you put in the same amount of effort and research, your degree will hold the same recognition and credibility.