Posting Huge Images - Is There an Easier Way?

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
In summary: There are online image resizers. Search for that on google. Exactly. We already have https://www.physicsforums.com/attach_gallery.php as of right now. Oh. And you can blame me for a few. :redface:
iScience
Not a complaint, just an inquiry:

when posting huge (2000x2000) images via the "", is there a way to resize it here?

my computer can be slow sometimes, and it's just annoying having to go to tinypic.com when i have a lot of pictures

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
Not a complaint, just an inquiry:

when posting huge (2000x2000) images via the "", is there a way to resize it here?

my computer can be slow sometimes, and it's just annoying having to go to tinypic.com when i have a lot of pictures

I'm afraid we don't support the capability to re-size images dynamically on PF.

You need to save them in the right size, no other way around it.

Besides, when you use images hosted elsewhere and linked using img tags there is no way for PF to do anything with the images - everything is done client side.

I simply resize them in paint, it comes with Windows.

Evo said:
I simply resize them in paint, it comes with Windows.
Me too. And I usually go for the biggest I can get away with (800 x 600). :devil:

Is there a way to post them directly from one's computer instead of linking ?
I use photobucket now.

jim hardy said:

You can post them as attachments, but that's not the preferred way.

jim hardy said:
I use photobucket now.
We cannot access files on your computer, so you have to upload them in some way - as attachment or at an external host.

Borek said:
You can post them as attachments, but that's not the preferred way.
Exactly. We already have https://www.physicsforums.com/attach_gallery.php as of right now. Oh. And you can blame me for a few. :redface:

iScience said:

There are online image resizers. Search for that on google.

I have used http://www.makeathumbnail.com/index.php to reduce a pic to 300x300 and that site then stores it for you, though I don't know for how long.

1. How can I resize images before posting them to save time?

One way to resize images is by using image editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP. These programs allow you to easily adjust the size and dimensions of an image to your desired specifications.

2. Is there a way to compress large images without losing quality?

Yes, there are many online tools and software programs that allow you to compress images without compromising their quality. Some popular options include TinyPNG, JPEGmini, and ImageOptim.

3. What is the best file format to use for posting images?

The best file format will depend on the type of image and its intended use. For general online posting, JPEG is a common and versatile format. PNG is better for images with transparent backgrounds, and SVG is ideal for vector graphics.

4. Can I use a URL instead of uploading the whole image?

Yes, most platforms allow you to insert an image via a URL instead of uploading the full image. This can save time and storage space, but keep in mind that the image may not always be available or may change over time.

5. Are there any plugins or extensions that can help with posting large images?

Yes, there are several browser extensions and plugins that can help with posting large images. Some popular options include Image Resizer for Chrome, Imagus for Firefox, and Image Resizer for Windows.