Basic Projectile: soccer ball kick

In summary: For the direction use Trig. Theta=arctan(Vy/Vx) In summary, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of velocity of a soccer ball after being kicked with an initial speed of 12.0 m/s at an angle of 25.0 degrees above the horizontal. Using the equations for acceleration and displacement, the velocity can be calculated using the given values. The final magnitude of the velocity can be found using the equation V=sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2), where Vx is equal to the initial horizontal velocity (12*cos(25)) and Vy is equal to the initial vertical velocity (12*sin(25)-9.8*t). The direction of the velocity can be found
zileas

Homework Statement

A soccer ball is kicked with an inital speed of 12.0 m/s in a direction of 25.0 degrees above the horizontal. Find the magnitude and direction of its velocity A) 0.250 s and b) 0.500 s after being kicked. C) Is the ball at its greatest height before or after 0.500 s?

Homework Equations

a = (Vf - Vi)/t

d = ((Vi + Vff / 2)t

d = Vit + 0.5at[super]2[/super]

Vf = 2ad + Vi[super]2[/super]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this.

I've gone with:

Vh = cos(25)12.0m/s
Vh = 10.88 m/s

Vi = sin(25)12.0m/s
Vi = 5.07 m/s

Now I've heard that in class if your initial vertical velocity in these types of problems has to be equal to the final or finishing vertical velocity...

So since I have Vi = 5.07 m/s ; I set Vf = -5.07 m/s

...and worked from there, but I am not sure at all if this was correct.

From there I tried to work out the displacement ...

Vf = 2ad + Vi[super]2[/super]

-5.07m/s = 2(-9.8m/s2)(d) + 5.07[super]2[/super]

d = 1.57 m

... and this is where I KNEW (at least I think I know...) that I'm horribly wrong. A kick with an initial vertical velocity of 5.07 m/s and overall 12.0 m/s ... and my displacement is 1.57 m total...

If anybody can help get me pointed in the right direction on this ... I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] v_x = v_0_x +a_x \cdot t = v_0_x =12 \cos(25^{o}) [/tex]

[tex] v_y= v_0_y + a_y \cdot t =12sin(25^{o})-9.81 \cdot t [/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2} [/tex]

dirk_mec1 said:
[tex] v_x = v_0_x +a_x \cdot t = v_0_x =12 \cos(25^{o}) [/tex]

[tex] v_y= v_0_y + a_y \cdot t =12sin(25^{o})-9.81 \cdot t [/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2} [/tex]

I don't understand how these help me... isn't there still 2 unknowns with a and t ? I'm so confused.

zileas said:
I don't understand how these help me... isn't there still 2 unknowns with a and t ? I'm so confused.

those equations tell you the final answer... that equation for the v he gave you was the final magnitude of the velocity. The a is not unknown because it is 9.8m/s^2 (acceleration of gravity in Y direction) the T is unknown because you have to plug in the values of t you want to solve for...

Vx= Vox*cos(25)
Vy= Voy*sin(25)-(9.8m/s^2)(t)

time doesn't have to be factored into the Vx because that speed is at a constant speed in the x direction until it hits the ground because there are no forces acting on it (assuming no air friction).

For Vy does need time factored into it because gravity is acting on it.

So plug in the time values for t that you need answers for and use the equation given by dirk to find the magnitude of the velocity... V= sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)

What is a basic projectile?

A basic projectile is a body that is thrown or launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion is also known as projectile motion.

How does a soccer ball kick demonstrate basic projectile motion?

When a soccer ball is kicked, it follows a curved path as it is launched into the air. This is due to the force of the kick and the influence of gravity, resulting in basic projectile motion.

What factors affect the distance a soccer ball travels when kicked?

The distance a soccer ball travels when kicked is affected by the initial velocity of the kick, the angle at which the ball is kicked, and the air resistance or drag acting on the ball.

Can a soccer ball be considered a perfect projectile?

No, a soccer ball cannot be considered a perfect projectile. This is because a perfect projectile must have no air resistance, but a soccer ball experiences air resistance which affects its trajectory.

How can the trajectory of a soccer ball be calculated?

The trajectory of a soccer ball can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, angle of kick, and air resistance. These equations can determine the height, distance, and time of flight for the soccer ball.