Is this series convergent or divergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a Calc 2 quiz involving finding the sum of a series from 1 to infinity. The individual is unsure how to code the series but mentions using the test of divergence, which states that if the limit of the function does not approach 0, then the series diverges. They mention that the limit of the function n/3n+1 is 1/3 and question whether the (-1)^n term changes anything, but it is determined that it does not based on the test's criteria.
fball558
convergent or divergent??

Homework Statement

i took a calc 2 quiz today and had a question on one of the. it's too late to correct what i did, but it's never too late to learn it for the final haha

here is the problem
they want us to find the sum of the series (below) from 1 to infinity (i don't know how to code it so will try my best to represent it)

inf
E (-1)^n * n/(3n +1)

i need to find if it is conv or div.
i jumped straight to test of divergence which states that if the limit of the the function as it approaces infinity of (An) "function" does not approach 0 then it div. i know limit of the
n/3n+1 is 1/3 so i said that the function diverges but did not know what the (-1)^n did. would that change it any? or was i right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Then look at that test again. Does it say what sign the numbers must be? If I recall correctly, it does not so the (-1)n does not matter.

1. What is the definition of "convergent" and "divergent" in science?

In science, "convergent" refers to the coming together or merging of two or more things, while "divergent" refers to the splitting or moving apart of two or more things.

2. How are convergent and divergent processes different?

Convergent processes involve the merging of two or more things, resulting in a decrease in diversity, while divergent processes involve the splitting or branching off of two or more things, resulting in an increase in diversity.

3. Can you give an example of a convergent process in nature?

An example of a convergent process in nature is the evolution of birds and bats. Despite having different ancestors, they developed similar traits such as wings and the ability to fly in order to adapt to their environment.

4. How does the concept of convergent and divergent evolution relate to each other?

Convergent and divergent evolution are two sides of the same coin. While convergent evolution results in similar traits developing independently in different species, divergent evolution results in different traits developing in a common ancestor.

5. Are convergent and divergent processes important in scientific research?

Yes, convergent and divergent processes play a crucial role in scientific research, particularly in the study of evolution and the diversity of life on Earth. Understanding how these processes shape the natural world can provide valuable insights into the patterns and mechanisms of evolution.