Why BHs Considered Singularities: Exploring Neutrino Emission

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of black holes and their relationship to singularities. It is explained that a black hole and a singularity are not the same thing, but according to the theory of general relativity, a black hole must have a singularity. The conversation also mentions the properties of black holes, such as their ability to trap light and the possibility of them emitting Hawking radiation.
2keyla
Let me preface by apologizing if this isn't posted in the correct forum... If it isn't, please point me to the correct forum and I'll gladly re-post.

Why is an anomaly like a BH considered a singularity?

Why is a BH not considered to be a super massive object existing in our space-time fabric? So massive and most likely spinning, but not necessarily spinning, to cause light not to reflect back to the viewer. Hence a black hole. Or more appropriately an onyx object.

Here's my question... why are BHs not emitting huge amounts of neutrinos? or are they?

If they are emitting neutrinos wouldn't that exclude them from the "singularity" concept?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-hole

Last edited by a moderator:
2keyla said:
Let me preface by apologizing if this isn't posted in the correct forum... If it isn't, please point me to the correct forum and I'll gladly re-post.

Why is an anomaly like a BH considered a singularity?
It is not. A black hole and a singularity are not synonyms.

According to the theory of general relativity a black hole, as modeled by the Schwarzschild or Kerr solution must have a singularity. It is simply a consequence of the theory.

2keyla said:
Why is a BH not considered to be a super massive object existing in our space-time fabric? So massive and most likely spinning, but not necessarily spinning, to cause light not to reflect back to the viewer. Hence a black hole.
Well that is pretty much what it is.

2keyla said:
Here's my question... why are BHs not emitting huge amounts of neutrinos? or are they?
Because the gravitational force is so strong that even light cannot escape from it.

Neutrinos cannot escape from inside the event horizon. The have no more priveleges than photons. Particles do escape a black hole at the event horizon. Pair production at the quantum level occasionally allows real particles to escape. It's called Hawking radiation. The negative energy part of the equation is absorbed by the black hole causing an effective loss of mass, and after a virtual eternity, evaporation of the black hole.

2keyla said:
Why is a BH not considered to be a super massive object existing in our space-time fabric? So massive and most likely spinning, but not necessarily spinning, to cause light not to reflect back to the viewer. Hence a black hole.
One corrective comment: whether something is a black hole or not does not only depends on its mass. A black hole does not have to be very heavy, one can have a very light black hole as well. Whether an object is a black hole depends on the size of its surface area in relation to its mass, electric charge and angular momentum.

1. What is a black hole singularity?

A black hole singularity is a point in the center of a black hole where the gravitational pull is infinite and the laws of physics, as we know them, break down. At this point, the density and curvature of space-time become infinite.

2. Why are black hole singularities considered important in the study of neutrino emission?

Black hole singularities are important in the study of neutrino emission because they are thought to be the source of high-energy neutrinos that are detected on Earth. As matter falls into a black hole, it becomes superheated and can emit neutrinos, which are very difficult to detect but can provide valuable information about the physics of black holes.

3. How do black hole singularities influence the emission of neutrinos?

The extreme gravitational pull and intense energy of a black hole singularity can cause matter to accelerate to very high speeds, producing high-energy particles such as neutrinos. Additionally, the intense gravitational forces near a black hole singularity can cause neutrinos to be emitted in a highly directional beam.

4. Are all black holes considered singularities?

According to classical physics, yes, all black holes are considered singularities. However, in quantum mechanics, there are theories that suggest that black holes may have a structure and may not be truly singularities. This is still an area of ongoing research.

5. Can we observe black hole singularities directly?

No, we cannot observe black hole singularities directly. Since they are points of infinite density, they cannot be seen or measured with any currently available technology. We can only study their effects on surrounding matter and radiation to learn more about them.