Problem involving ratios to find the length of a shadow

In summary, the conversation discusses the geometric connection between two 1-to-8 ratios involving the shadow of a vertical pillar in Alexandria and the distance between Alexandria and Syene. It is found that if the Earth were smaller, the shadow in Alexandria would be shorter due to the smaller distance between the two cities and the ratio involved. However, there is some uncertainty about the answer and the role of Syene in the problem. It is clarified that Syene is located on the Tropic of Cancer and does not have a shadow.
overhorizon

Homework Statement

The shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?

I already solved this problem. However, there is another part of the problem:

If Earth were smaller than it is, would the shadow of the vertical pillar in Alexandria have been longer or shorter at noon during the summer solstice?

Homework Equations

Just a ratio I used to solve the first part.

Pole shadow/Pole height = Alexandria and Syene distance / Earth radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I said the shadow would grow shorter. Since the Earth would be smaller, the distance between Alexandria and Syene would also be smaller. And due to it being a ratio, this would also effect the shadow.

However, I am really not certain of my answer and do not know how I could verify it or if I am correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
overhorizon said:

Homework Statement

The shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?

I already solved this problem. However, there is another part of the problem:

If Earth were smaller than it is, would the shadow of the vertical pillar in Alexandria have been longer or shorter at noon during the summer solstice?

Homework Equations

Just a ratio I used to solve the first part.

Pole shadow/Pole height = Alexandria and Syene distance / Earth radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I said the shadow would grow shorter. Since the Earth would be smaller, the distance between Alexandria and Syene would also be smaller. And due to it being a ratio, this would also effect the shadow.

However, I am really not certain of my answer and do not know how I could verify it or if I am correct.

You forgot to tell us what Syene has to do with the problem. Is there a shadow there? But yes, on a smaller planet Alexandria would be closer to the equator and would have a smaller shadow.

EDIT: Oops I meant the tropic not the equator. Obviously Syene is on the tropic of cancer south of Alexandria. So there is no shadow there right?

1. How do you use ratios to find the length of a shadow?

To use ratios to find the length of a shadow, you need to measure the height of an object and the length of its shadow. Then, you can use the ratio of the height to the length of the shadow to calculate the length of the shadow. For example, if an object is 10 feet tall and its shadow is 5 feet long, the ratio would be 10:5 or 2:1. This means that for every 1 unit of height, there are 2 units of shadow. So, if you want to find the length of the shadow when the object's height is 15 feet, you would multiply 15 by 2 to get a length of 30 feet.

2. Can you use ratios to find the length of a shadow on any surface?

Yes, you can use ratios to find the length of a shadow on any surface, as long as you have the necessary measurements. The ratio of height to shadow length will remain the same, regardless of the surface. However, you may need to adjust your calculations if the surface is not flat or if there are other objects casting shadows.

3. What if the object and its shadow are not on level ground?

If the object and its shadow are not on level ground, you will need to take into account the angle of the ground when calculating the length of the shadow. You can do this by using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to find the length of the shadow. This will give you a more accurate measurement, as opposed to just using the ratio of height to shadow length.

4. Is it possible to use ratios to find the length of a shadow when the sun is at different positions in the sky?

Yes, you can still use ratios to find the length of a shadow when the sun is at different positions in the sky. However, the angle of the sun's rays will affect the length of the shadow, so you will need to consider this when calculating the ratio. In this case, using trigonometric functions may be more accurate.

5. Can ratios be used to find the length of a shadow at different times of day?

Yes, ratios can be used to find the length of a shadow at different times of day. As long as you have the necessary measurements and take into account the angle of the sun's rays, you can use ratios to calculate the length of a shadow at any time of day. However, the length of the shadow may vary depending on the position of the sun in the sky, so it's important to be aware of this when making your calculations.