Whats the price of Thermographic camera?

• Thread starter AlexES16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of a thermographic camera and its potential use in spy operations. The technology to see through walls is infrared, but it may not work on certain types of walls. The conversation also mentions alternative technologies, such as terahertz imaging, but notes that they are expensive and not widely available. Overall, the conversation emphasizes that there is currently no technology that allows for seeing through walls, except for windows.
AlexES16
Hey what's up. How much will be the price of a Thermographic camera, I am thinking in doing something like spy operations(yeah i know I am kinda crazy bla bla).

Also what's the name of the technology that let you see trough walls? it is infrared?

Computer science news on Phys.org
A thermographic camera costs a lot, depending on your requirements.

The devices to see through walls are known as windows.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=infrared+camera [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just couldn't resist, could you, brewski?

The "basic" model used ones I've seen run around $3,000 to $5,000.
New basic I think run 10,000-15,000.
Pro new models run from 20,000-100,000 and more.

As far as imaging a thermal hotspot through walls, it depends.
Is the wall aluminum, like in some trailers? If so, there might be some issues.
Is the wall concrete? Similar issue.
Is the wall just wood siding and wood 2/4 supports, sheetrock and minimal insulation? Good chance of capturing an image.

Flir has a handheld unit for under $3000

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=487788&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10113&subdeptNum=10738&classNum=10739

It will not let you see through walls, It will make you look like a dork, But a neat toy none the less.

no existing camera will let you see through walls - TV lies

if the blue and red end of the visible spectrum won't penetrate then the less energetic infra red won't - need Xrays which requires a source on the other side of the wall

AlexES16 said:
Also what's the name of the technology that let you see trough walls? it is infrared?

Look into terahertz imaging. It's not great and the technology has a long way to go.

The last time I tried to get one at work, the high end professional models with the complete set of lenses was ~$450K, needless to say, we have not ordered one yet.

The IR camera setup in our lab was about $16k for the total setup. As far as I know there is no commercially available technology that let's you see into buildings. Well, except for windows of course.

1. What is a thermographic camera?

A thermographic camera, also known as an infrared camera, is a device that uses infrared radiation to create images of objects. It measures the infrared radiation emitted by objects and converts it into a visible image, which allows us to see temperature differences.

2. How does a thermographic camera work?

A thermographic camera works by using an infrared detector to measure the infrared radiation emitted by objects. The detector converts this radiation into an electrical signal, which is then processed by a microprocessor to create a visible image. The different colors on the image represent different levels of infrared radiation, which correspond to different temperatures.

3. What are the applications of thermographic cameras?

Thermographic cameras have a wide range of applications, including building inspections, electrical inspections, mechanical inspections, medical imaging, and even in military and law enforcement operations. They are also used in research and development, as well as in firefighting and search and rescue operations.

4. What factors affect the price of a thermographic camera?

The price of a thermographic camera can vary depending on several factors, such as the brand, resolution, temperature range, and additional features. Higher resolution and wider temperature range cameras tend to be more expensive. The brand and additional features, such as video recording and wireless connectivity, can also affect the price.

5. Are there different types of thermographic cameras?

Yes, there are different types of thermographic cameras, including handheld, tripod-mounted, and fixed-mount cameras. Handheld cameras are portable and easy to use, while tripod-mounted and fixed-mount cameras are more suitable for continuous monitoring and long-term use. There are also specialized cameras for specific applications, such as medical thermography and aerial thermography for aerial surveys and inspections.