Get shocked when wearing the shoes

• Thread starter Chuck88
  • Start date
In summary, the rubber shoes cut off the electric connection between us and the ground, which is why we get shocked.
Chuck88
I know that rubber is a type of good insulator of electricity. But the problem is that we will still get shocked when we are wearing the rubber shoes. How does that happen? The rubber shoes should cut off the electric connection between us and the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that the rubber soles act as a good insulator, but rubbing your feet against the ground is not the only source of gaining an electric charge on your body.

And then if you get a charge on yourself, and it can't get out from your feet, it will sit in you until you touch a doorknob.

I am not sure if this is the proper explanation, I am making a guess here. Someone else will probably have a better idea of the cause of this phenomenon.

problem is chuck88 hasnt really given us enough info...

is he referring to the build up of static electricity as you inferred shishkabob?
or is he referring to touching a mains power source etc and still receiving a shock even tho he's wearing rubber shoes ?

details, details, details :)

Dave

Chuck88 said:
I know that rubber is a type of good insulator of electricity. But ... ?

In that light, if you are referring to the shock of static electricity, would you get more of a shock with wearing rubber soles or going barefoot?

for static electricity, wearing the rubber shoes is what is going to build up the huge static charges

D

davenn said:

is he referring to the build up of static electricity as you inferred shishkabob?
or is he referring to touching a mains power source etc and still receiving a shock even tho he's wearing rubber shoes ?

Dave

good point. I'm personally not sure about either of those.

I would speculate that the probability of static discharge in the second case from a person's body to something else would depend on the strength of the power source that he's touching.

davenn said:

Dave

The details are that I am wearing the shoes and standing on the ground. Suddenly, I saw a pair of bare wires in front of me. I feel quite excited. So I run forward and touch one of the wires. Immediately, I feel shocked.

This is turning out to be more of an investigation! To come to any conclusion, we still need more details(for ex: the charge the wire was carrying,etc

Anyway, now, if your shoes are not charged and you put your shoe on a electric wire, there are just some possible reasons as to why there was a shock:

1) Your shoes had acquired a charge, on contact with the wire, which could mean there might have alredy been some moisture(sweat). Even moist air could make your shoes moist. Water(moisture) molecules would have been absorbed by rubber. And as a result the sole would have conducted electricity, creating an electric shock.

[2)(On a lighter note...) Your shoe may have had a hole!:)]

regards,
math_way

1. Why do I get shocked when wearing certain shoes?

Static electricity is the most common cause of shocks when wearing shoes. When you walk on certain surfaces, such as carpet or tile, your shoes can create a buildup of static electricity. When you touch a metal object or another person, the static electricity is discharged, resulting in a shock.

2. How can I prevent getting shocked when wearing shoes?

To prevent shocks when wearing shoes, you can try using anti-static products, such as anti-static spray or insoles. You can also try wearing socks made of natural materials, such as cotton, which can help reduce the buildup of static electricity.

3. Are certain types of shoes more likely to cause shocks?

Yes, certain materials, such as rubber or plastic, are more likely to create static electricity and result in shocks. Additionally, shoes with a thick sole or poor insulation can contribute to static buildup. Shoes with leather or suede soles are less likely to cause shocks.

4. Can shocks from shoes be harmful?

In most cases, the shocks from shoes are not harmful to your health. However, if you have a pacemaker or other medical device, it is important to avoid static electricity as it can interfere with these devices. It is always best to consult with your doctor if you have concerns.

5. Why does the shock feel stronger sometimes?

The strength of a shock can vary depending on the level of static electricity buildup and the conductivity of the surface or object you touch. For example, if you touch a metal object, the shock may feel stronger compared to touching a person. Additionally, factors such as the humidity level can also affect the strength of the shock.