Spring system: Relationship b/t mass and distance object travels

In summary, when a box of mass M compresses a spring distance x and is released from rest on a frictionless incline, the box will slide a distance d up the incline. If the mass is doubled to 2M, the distance traveled will decrease, as the acceleration is halved. However, the force applied to the spring will also be doubled, leading to a decrease in the distance traveled. The relationship between mass and distance traveled can be determined by considering both acceleration and force. If the spring is compressed distance 2x and released with a mass of M, the distance traveled will also be different due to the increased force, but the exact relationship between mass and distance traveled cannot be determined without considering energy.
sweetpete28
A spring is at the bottom of a frictionless incline. When a box of mass M compresses the spring distance x and is released from rest, the box slides distance d up the incline (measured from where the box is at rest).

a) Suppose a box of mass 2M is used to compress the spring distance x,and is released from rest. The distance the box will slide up the incline is?

b)Suppose a box of mass M is used to compress the spring distance 2x, and is released from rest. The distance the box will slide up the incline now is?

For a) I am pretty sure that if the mass is doubled, the distance traveled will decrease, as I believe the acceleration would be cut in half. But how do I determine by exactly how much? What is relationship b/t mass and distance?

For b) the force is doubled so I think acceleration doubles but what about distance traveled?

Any advice? Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetpete28 said:
A spring is at the bottom of a frictionless incline. When a box of mass M compresses the spring distance x and is released from rest, the box slides distance d up the incline (measured from where the box is at rest).

a) Suppose a box of mass 2M is used to compress the spring distance x,and is released from rest. The distance the box will slide up the incline is?

b)Suppose a box of mass M is used to compress the spring distance 2x, and is released from rest. The distance the box will slide up the incline now is?

For a) I am pretty sure that if the mass is doubled, the distance traveled will decrease, as I believe the acceleration would be cut in half. But how do I determine by exactly how much? What is relationship b/t mass and distance?

For b) the force is doubled so I think acceleration doubles but what about distance traveled?

Any advice? Please help...

You are concentrating on acceleration - which can lead to the answer - but you have chosen not to consider Energy - which can give a global view of what is happening without going into each specific.

1. What is a spring system?

A spring system refers to a mechanical system consisting of a spring attached to an object and a fixed point. When the object is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force that tries to restore the object to its original position.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the distance it travels in a spring system?

The mass of an object affects the distance it travels in a spring system by changing the magnitude of the force exerted by the spring. The greater the mass, the greater the force needed to compress or extend the spring, resulting in a larger distance traveled.

3. What is the relationship between mass and distance traveled in a spring system?

The relationship between mass and distance traveled in a spring system is directly proportional. This means that as the mass increases, the distance traveled also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law: F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. How does the distance traveled in a spring system change if the spring constant is altered?

If the spring constant is altered in a spring system, the distance traveled will also change. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and a higher spring constant means a stiffer spring. This means that the object will travel a shorter distance for the same amount of force applied to the spring. Conversely, a lower spring constant will result in a longer distance traveled for the same force.

5. What are some real-world applications of the relationship between mass and distance traveled in a spring system?

The relationship between mass and distance traveled in a spring system has many real-world applications. It is used in shock absorbers for vehicles, where the spring absorbs the impact of bumps on the road. It is also used in watches and clocks to regulate the movement of the hands. Additionally, it is used in sports equipment like trampolines and pogo sticks, where the spring provides the necessary force for jumping and bouncing.