What is the significance of JD and how is it calculated?

In summary: The equation for Greenwich Mean Sidereal Time is:GMST0 = 18.697374558 + 24.0657098244191 * d; in hours
JeffOCA
Hi,

When you have to calculate the rising or setting time of a celestial body, you have to handle with hour angle and sidereal time.

Sidereal time for the rising is given by T = alpha - H and by T = alpha + H for the setting (alpha = right ascension). Why - H in one hand, and + H on the other hand ?

Maybe because :
1/ hour angle H is computed from east toward west, so H=0 when crossing meridian, in south direction. Before crossing meridian, H = - [itex]\left|H \right|[/itex] so it's negative and it is positive after meridian is crossed H = [itex]\left|H \right|[/itex]
2/ we can say that rising and setting are symmetric with respect to meridian transit, which occurs when T = alpha (i.e H=0)... so -H for rising and +H for setting

Which explanation is better ? If none of them, could you explain the right way ?

Thnaks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you are confusing T with LMST(Local Mean Sidreal Time). The equation goes:

H = LMST - alpha

where H is the Hour Angle and alpha is Right Ascension. Hour Angle does not change signs.

LMST however is made up of time.

LMST = GMST0 + (Hour - timezone - dst + Minute/60)*15 + longitude(East+)

where dst is daylight savings time (1 for on and 0 for off)

Hi,

I knew T was LMST, but I don't understand why local mean sidereal time for the rising is given by LMST = alpha - H and by LMST = alpha + H for the setting (where alpha = right ascension). I have some ideas (see my precedent post) but I'm not sure...

Thanks

Look more at this equation:

Hour is in 24hour Time.

Philosophaie said:
Look more at this equation:

Hour is in 24hour Time.
Ok. I looked at it. So ?

Anyone ?

T = alpha - H and by T = alpha + H

The equation is always:

Code:
LMST = alpha - HA

Just the time changes.

JD = 367 * yr - Int(7 * (yr + Int((mo + 9) / 12)) / 4) + Int(275 * mo / 9) + dy + 1721013.5
d = (JDT - 2451545)

GMST0 = 18.697374558 + 24.0657098244191 * d; in hours
GMST0*15; in degrees

Hi Philosophaie, hi everyone

For setting, the formula is also : T = alpha - H or, if you prefer : LMST = alpha - HA ? That's it ?
Philosophaie said:
Just the time changes.

JD = 367 * yr - Int(7 * (yr + Int((mo + 9) / 12)) / 4) + Int(275 * mo / 9) + dy + 1721013.5
d = (JDT - 2451545)

GMST0 = 18.697374558 + 24.0657098244191 * d; in hours
GMST0*15; in degrees

Can you tell me what do you mean with "just time changes" ? JD = julian day ? Why giving me the formula for Greenwich Mean sidereal time ?

JD stands for Julian Date. Julian Date is the interval of time in days and fractions of a day since 1-1-4713 BC at Greenwich Noon. This Julian refers to Julius Caesar, who introduced the Julian calendar in 46 BC. This calendar has a regular year of 365 days divided into 12 months. A leap day is added to February every four years. The Julian year is, therefore, on average 365.25 days long.

What is an hour angle for rises and sets?

An hour angle for rises and sets is a measure of the angular distance between the celestial meridian and a specific object in the sky. It is commonly used to determine the time at which an object rises or sets in the sky.

How is hour angle for rises and sets calculated?

Hour angle for rises and sets is calculated by taking the difference between the local sidereal time (LST) and the right ascension (RA) of the object. This result is then converted into hours, minutes, and seconds.

What is the significance of hour angle for rises and sets?

Hour angle for rises and sets is important because it helps astronomers and navigators determine the exact time at which celestial objects, such as stars, planets, and the Sun, will rise or set in the sky. This information is useful for planning observations and navigation.

How does hour angle for rises and sets differ from hour angle for transits?

Hour angle for rises and sets refers to the angular distance between the celestial meridian and a specific object at the moment it rises or sets. Hour angle for transits, on the other hand, refers to the angular distance between the celestial meridian and a specific object at the moment it reaches its highest point in the sky.

Can hour angle for rises and sets be used to determine the length of day and night?

Yes, hour angle for rises and sets can be used to determine the length of day and night. By knowing the hour angle, as well as the declination of the object, the time at which it rises or sets can be calculated. This information can then be used to determine the length of daylight and nighttime.