A bad joke or over my head?

• Thread starter nitsuj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary: The joke is trying to make a political statement about the relationship between winter and egg-laying, but it's not very well executed.
nitsuj
Just happened to see this joke in the news paper (tabloid) today. Weather has gone from +10 to -23 (windchill) in a matter of two days.

That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out. :rolleyes: (there is no news/politics context that I know of)
bADJOKE_zps98e73ba0.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out.

Yes. :approve: Dogs do lay eggs sometimes. However, it is extremely difficult to locate a dog's eggs and many people have taken a hobby of spotting dog's eggs.

That's just a bad joke.

The joke was over your head. They're trying to allude to the fact that the dogs are so confused they don't even know if they're a dog or some egg-laying vertebrate.

Like Drakkith said, probably not the best joke ever.

Apparently confusing weather causes your mind to be confused about other things non-weather related, like what species you are.

It's a bad joke, not over your head. You just tried to think about it in a direction it wasn't going, like I did. I thought there was a relation between winter and egg-laying, since there's a common belief that there's a relation between summer and shedding. Also, it sort of implies that the dog equivalent to laying eggs is shedding fur.

I don't think I'm smart at all, but "over my head" usually implies, at least to me, something is too smart or clever, but in this case I think it was too dumb.

Now that that's settled, here's another one. What country is being referred to here?

5e884710384801300b63001dd8b71c47.jpg

Mech_Engineer said:
The joke was over your head. They're trying to allude to the fact that the dogs are so confused they don't even know if they're a dog or some egg-laying vertebrate.

Like Drakkith said, probably not the best joke ever.

I think you're right Mech_Engineer. That also seems to be the consensus here at work, to interpret it literally...weather makes animals "dumb" so the animals said/thought something "dumb".

I was making my own bad joke with the "Do dogs lay eggs in the winter?" question, to LerroyJenkins point about the "logic" with that interpretation, the joke implies it's the case as the "wacky" weather was a temperature variance.

The joke was so not funny to me I had to assume I was missing something.

This "news" paper (tabloid) is about a grade 10 reading level, editorial maybe grade 12...maybe. It just throws me for a loop when they include a grade level 2 joke in the editorial.

Drakkith rightly said it was a BAD joke.

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/images/ae27.jpg
A. Einstein said:
People slowly accustomed themselves to the idea that the physical states of space itself were the final physical reality.

It reminded me of this one.

The dogs are cute though.

It is a little known fact that dogs do lay eggs. But they usually eat them which is why this often goes unnoticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwJDm5srik

Forgot to mention the author of the comic is Susan Dewar. She won the "top prize" in Political Cartooning Division of the National Business Writing Awards-1987. Pretty remarkably to make a career out of cartooning. particularly in this day

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It is a little known fact that dogs do lay eggs. But they usually eat them which is why this often goes unnoticed.

I noticed my dog eats less when the weather is colder, now I know why! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwJDm5srik

That poor dog was fast asleep!

Nothing like a pet to bring out the silly in an owner :biggrin:.

nitsuj said:
Just happened to see this joke in the news paper (tabloid) today. Weather has gone from +10 to -23 (windchill) in a matter of two days.

That said, do dogs lay eggs when it's cold out. :rolleyes: (there is no news/politics context that I know of)

bADJOKE_zps98e73ba0.png

The dogs are shaped like penguins. The weather has confused them so much they aren't sure whether they are dogs or penguins.

Not very funny.

1. What is considered a "bad joke"?

A bad joke is a joke that is not funny or does not elicit a positive response from the audience. It may be poorly crafted, offensive, or simply not understood by the audience.

2. What does it mean when someone says a joke is "over my head"?

When someone says a joke is "over my head," it means that they did not understand the joke. This could be due to a lack of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter or language used in the joke.

3. Why do people tell bad jokes?

People may tell bad jokes for a variety of reasons. They may not have a good sense of humor, they may be trying to be funny but fail, or they may simply not realize that their joke is not funny.

4. How can I tell if a joke is over my head or just a bad joke?

If you do not understand a joke, it is most likely over your head. However, if the majority of people around you are not laughing or reacting positively to the joke, it is probably a bad joke.

5. Is there a way to make a bad joke better?

It is possible to make a bad joke better by adding more context or explanation, using better delivery, or changing the punchline. However, sometimes a bad joke is just a bad joke and cannot be salvaged.