Is Russian meteor related to a asteroid known as 2012 DA14?

In summary, the European Space Agency (ESA) does not believe that the recent meteor event in Russia is related to the asteroid known as 2012 DA14, which is expected to pass by Earth today. While some argue that the trajectory of the meteor could have been altered due to its proximity to the Earth and its gravitational pull, NASA and other reputable sources state that the two are unrelated. The discussion on the potential connection between the two has been locked due to a lack of reputable sources and evidence.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unless you've done the math to determine the orbital characteristics of the meteor and compared them to 2012 DA14, then I will take NASA's opinion over yours. And even then I probably still would.
The chance that the meteor was related to 2012 DA14 and happened to be pulled into an approach trajectory that is completely opposite of what it was prior to its encounter with the Earth is very remote, if not impossible.

Drakkith said:
Unless you've done the math to determine the orbital characteristics of the meteor and compared them to 2012 DA14, then I will take NASA's opinion over yours. And even then I probably still would.
The chance that the meteor was related to 2012 DA14 and happened to be pulled into an approach trajectory that is completely opposite of what it was prior to its encounter with the Earth is very remote, if not impossible.

Probability is thin thing. You see shallow trajectory. To have shallow trajectory is ALMOST impossible! But it DOES real!

M@2 said:
Probability is thin thing.

Probability is an very important part of science.

You see shallow trajectory. To have shallow trajectory is ALMOST impossible! But it DOES real!

Please provide a reference stating the meteors trajectory. Then we can discuss it.

Drakkith said:
Probability is an very important part of science.

Please provide a reference stating the meteors trajectory. Then we can discuss it.

I read arguments in russian press. They say about OPPOSITE directions of russian meteor and asteroid, so they decide that asteroid and meteor are unconnected.

But what about meteor, being a member of "2012 DA14 asteroid belt" (in some sense), made 1/2 revolt around the Earth chandged the direction of motion?

M@2 said:
But what about meteor, being a member of "2012 DA14 asteroid belt" (in some sense), made 1/2 revolt around the Earth chandged the direction of motion?

Very unlikely. That's why they claim they aren't connected. I don't think they Earth's gravitational pull is strong enough to completely change the trajectory of the meteor BEFORE it hits the atmosphere. Not if it was traveling at a similar velocity to 2012 DA14. And if it wasn't traveling the same speed, then it wouldn't be connected.

We have many reputable sources stating that the two are unrelated.

Do you have any reputable source arguing that there is a relation between the two?? If not, then this thread is over.

micromass said:
We have many reputable sources stating that the two are unrelated.

Do you have any reputable source arguing that there is a relation between the two?? If not, then this thread is over.
My reputable source is my education.
Do You have reputable source publications?

I don't think "reputable" source can publish "reputable" article with "reputable" data about Russian meteor in one day.
Have you russian anti-missile system data already?
In 1961 we shot down american spy plane U-2 about the same place.

There were data that we, russians, tryed to shot down meteor :)

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
... I don't think they Earth's gravitational pull is strong enough to completely change the trajectory of the meteor BEFORE it hits the atmosphere. Not if it was traveling at a similar velocity to 2012 DA14.

Before or not before in outer space bodyes obey Newton's gravitational law. And can be captured by Earths gravitation if their trajectories are close enough to Earth.

M@2 said:
My reputable source is my education.
Do You have reputable source publications?

I don't think "reputable" source can publish "reputable" article with "reputable" data about Russian meteor in one day.
Have you russian anti-missile system data already?
In 1961 we shot down american spy plane U-2 about the same place.

There were data that we, russians, tryed to shot down meteor :)

I thought so. Please be sure to read our rules: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Thread locked.

What is the Russian meteor?

The Russian meteor, also known as the Chelyabinsk meteor, was a large meteor that entered Earth's atmosphere on February 15, 2013 and exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk in Russia. It caused significant damage and injuries to people and buildings in the area.

What is 2012 DA14?

2012 DA14 is an asteroid that was discovered in 2012. It has a diameter of approximately 30 meters and orbits around the sun every 368 days. It has been classified as a Potentially Hazardous Asteroid due to its close proximity to Earth.

Is there a connection between the Russian meteor and 2012 DA14?

No, there is no direct connection between the Russian meteor and 2012 DA14. They are two separate objects that entered Earth's atmosphere on the same day.

Could the Russian meteor have been caused by 2012 DA14?

No, the trajectory of the Russian meteor was significantly different from the trajectory of 2012 DA14. Additionally, the Russian meteor exploded in the atmosphere, while 2012 DA14 passed by Earth at a safe distance.

Is there a possibility of a future impact from 2012 DA14?

There is a very low possibility of a future impact from 2012 DA14. Scientists have been closely monitoring its trajectory and have determined that it poses no threat to Earth in the foreseeable future.