How to Find Thevenin Resistance after Shorting Batteries?

• Thread starter hussain bani
  • Start date
In summary, you short the batteries for Rth, but after doing short you don't understand how to find Rth, can someone help you finding out? You short the batteries for Rth, but after doing short you don't understand how to find Rth, can someone help me finding out?
hussain bani
Thevenine, how to find Rth

I short the batteries for Rth, but after doing short i don't understand how to find Rth, can sum 1 help me finding out ?

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 4142013 115412 PM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 4142013 115412 PM.bmp.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
You are simply putting an ohmeter across Rab...what does the ohmeter see?

I would put the 4 ohm and the 16 ohm in parrallel...then add the 2 ohm in series. Put that result in parallel with the 15 ohm resistor...then add the 2 ohm resistor to that result in series. Then put in parallel with the 8, then parallel with the other 8...then add that result to the 5 ohm in series.

If you are having a hard time seeing which resistors are in parallel...parallel implies "voltage across is the same. If you look at the 16 ohm resistor and put a voltage meter across it...then slid it down so it is across the 4 ohm resistor...the voltage would be the same for both. A.K.A parallel.

I short the batteries for Rth, but after doing short i don't understand how to find Rth, can someone help me finding out ?

Last edited by a moderator:
hussain bani said:
I short the batteries for Rth, but after doing short i don't understand how to find Rth, can someone help me finding out ?
Hi hussain bani. You short the batteries only on paper. You don't do this to real batteries, shorting them can be dangerous or damaging, and won't give you the right answer, anyway, because the chemical reaction inside changes drastically when a battery is abused like this.

So, on paper, you short the battery and determine the current that flows through that short circuit wire. Together with the no-load voltage, you can then calculate Rth = Vo/c ÷ Is/c

Last edited by a moderator:
In a circuit with other components, you can just take the batteries out and put a jumper wire where the batteries were.

Mathematically they just want you to bypass the batteries so they no longer have a effect on the circuit. Of course this is only for finding Rthevenin.

smashbrohamme said:
In a circuit with other components, you can just take the batteries out and put a jumper wire where the batteries were.
In general, no. That won't work where the circuit includes active or non-linear devices (e.g., semiconductors).

My procedure when it came to doing thevenin equivalents, especially when you get nasty diagrams like that, was to start by simplifying the circuit (I have a thing against diagonal lines in electric diagrams).

Reading your question, what you want to do is find the equivalent resistance. Use all the rules and tricks you have learned up to this point and attempt to turn that mess of resistors into a nice and simple equivalent resistor. You will be doing quite a bit of parallel resistor combinations from what I have seen.

Something else to note, homework problems for circuit analysis are usually carefully rigged so that the answer is a number, but that is not always the case. (In my analysis of it, I had to guess on a couple numbers, but my number was near 9, but as you will know, simply putting the answer on your homework is NOT satisfactory for a full grade.)

All the methods stated above are correct. If you are shying away from simplifying resistors, perhaps you need to step back and master that concept first. Re-drawing the circuit in a more familar shape is always preferred as mentioned above.

If you are competent in combining resistors, it should take you no longer than a minute or two to find the Rth in my opinion.

And my point about "what would a ohmeter read" is a legitimate statement. If you wire those resistors in real life and put an ohmeter across Rab...it will be the same as the calculated Rth...or the combined resistance.

Thevenin and norton will actually help you solve more complicated circuits once you learn it.

Thevenine

Thanks everyone for their kind explanation, i got it...:)

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to analyze and solve circuits by reducing them into simpler components.

2. How do I find the Thevenin resistance (Rth)?

To find the Thevenin resistance, you can remove all voltage and current sources from the original circuit and calculate the resistance between the two terminals where the load will be connected. This value will be the Rth of the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

3. Can you explain the Thevenin theorem in simple terms?

The Thevenin theorem states that any linear circuit with voltage and current sources and resistors can be replaced by a single voltage source and a single resistor connected in series. This simplified circuit will produce the same voltage and current at the load as the original circuit.

4. Why is it helpful to use Thevenin equivalent circuits in circuit analysis?

Thevenin equivalent circuits allow for easier and quicker analysis of complex circuits. By reducing a circuit to a single voltage source and resistor, calculations become simpler and more manageable.

5. What are the limitations of using Thevenin equivalent circuits?

Thevenin equivalent circuits are only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that they do not apply to circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, the Thevenin equivalent may only be accurate within a certain range of operating conditions.