How can I use the Newton Method to find the eccentric anomaly for Mars?

• Thread starter smmSTV
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with a program for their astronomy class. The program needs to output a table with the distance of Mars from the sun and its true anomaly, but the student is struggling with computing the eccentric anomaly from the mean anomaly using Kepler's equation. They are using c++ and have attempted to find an equation involving Einitial and Efinals, but it has not been successful. The idea is to set Einitial to 0 at the perihelion point and find Efinal in terms of that, and then use the Newton Method to solve for E. The student also mentions using the equation for r to calculate the distance of Mars from the sun.
smmSTV
So I'm in need of some more help for my astronomy class again.
My professor wants us to write a program that outputs a table with the distance of Mars from the sun (r) and it's true anomaly. The problem is that i need to compute the Eccentric Anomaly (E) from the Mean Anomaly (M). Kepler's equation is E = M + εsin(E), but I can't get it down in terms of E. Seeing as how I'm using c++, it is kind of a necessity. One website seemed to have an equation involving Einitial and Efinals, but it didn't do me any good. Is the idea to set the original Einitial equal to 0 at t=0 (the perihelion point) and find E final in terms of that? At the end of each iteration (I'm running a while loop) the Eintial of the next iteration would be set to the Efinal of the current loop. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The correct equation is [tex]M = E - e*sin(E)[/tex]

Solve using the Newton Method:

[tex]E_{n+1} = E_{n} - \frac{f(E)}{f'(E)}[/tex]
where f(E) = E - e * sin(E) - M
and f'(E) = 1 - e * cos(E)

Loop the above equations until:
[tex]\frac{f(E)}{f'(E)} < 0.00001[/tex]Or some substantially low number not zero.

Also,[tex]r = \frac{a * (1 - e ^ 2)}{(1 + e * cos(TA))}[/tex]
where TA - True Anomaly
and a - Semi-Major Axis of Mars

Last edited:

1. What is an eccentric anomaly?

An eccentric anomaly is a mathematical concept used to describe the position of an orbiting object, such as a planet or satellite, in its elliptical orbit. It is the angle between the center of the orbit and the position of the orbiting object, measured from the focus of the ellipse.

2. How is the eccentric anomaly calculated?

The eccentric anomaly can be calculated using the mean anomaly and the eccentricity of the orbit. The formula for calculating eccentric anomaly is E = M + e*sin(E), where E is the eccentric anomaly, M is the mean anomaly, and e is the eccentricity.

3. Why is finding the eccentric anomaly important?

Finding the eccentric anomaly is important because it allows us to determine the exact position of an object in its elliptical orbit at any given time. This information is crucial for predicting the future path of the object and for making precise observations and measurements.

4. What are some methods for finding the eccentric anomaly?

There are several methods for finding the eccentric anomaly, including the Kepler's equation method, the Newton-Raphson method, and the binary search method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific requirements of the problem at hand.

5. Can the eccentric anomaly change over time?

Yes, the eccentric anomaly can change over time as the object moves along its elliptical orbit. This change is caused by the varying distance between the object and the focus of the ellipse, as well as the varying speed at which the object moves along the orbit. However, the eccentric anomaly remains constant at any given point in time and can be calculated using the methods mentioned above.