Equation of a Helix: Find Answers to Parametric Equations

• Thread starter NEWO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helix
In summary, the equation for a double helix is given by the parametric equations x=acost, y=asint, z=bt. The resulting equation for the double helix is not a single function, but rather two distinct functions x= r cos(\theta), y= r sin(\theta), z= a\theta, where \theta is the angle the point makes with the x-axis and a is a constant. These equations are used to represent the three-dimensional shape of a helix.
NEWO
I am looking to find the equation of a helix, now I know that a double helix is given in terms of 3 parametric equations

x=acost, y=asint, z=bt

I just would like to know the answers to 2 of my own questions.

a) What is the resulting equation for the double helix,
b) what are the parametric equations.

I have totally forgotten about parametric equations lol.

Also this is not homework of any kind, just for my own reference.

Thanks for any help it is appreciated

newo

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The parametric equations for a hleix are
[tex]x= r cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y= r sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]z= a\theta[/tex]
where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the point (x,y,z) makes with the x-axis (projected to the xy-plane) and a is a constant. Since a point on the "double helix" has two different z values for a given x, y value, z you cannot expect to write it as a single function by as two distinct functions.

a) The resulting equation for the double helix would be: x=acos(t), y=asin(t), z=bt

b) The parametric equations for a helix can be written as: x=acos(t), y=asin(t), z=bt. These equations represent the position of a point on the helix at any given time t. The parameter t controls the movement along the helix, with a and b determining the shape and size of the helix.

1. What is the equation of a helix?

The equation of a helix is a mathematical relationship that describes the shape of a 3-dimensional curve. It is typically represented by a set of parametric equations, which involve three variables: x, y, and z. These equations determine the coordinates of points along the helix as it curves through space.

2. How do you find the equation of a helix?

The equation of a helix can be found by using parametric equations that define the x, y, and z coordinates of points along the curve. These equations usually involve a cosine and sine function, and a variable to control the pitch or height of the helix. By manipulating these equations, you can adjust the shape and size of the helix to fit your needs.

3. What is the purpose of a helix equation?

The purpose of a helix equation is to provide a mathematical representation of a helix shape. This can be useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where helix shapes may need to be modeled or analyzed. It can also be used to create visualizations or animations of helix structures.

4. How do you graph a helix using parametric equations?

To graph a helix using parametric equations, you can plot points along the curve by substituting different values for the parameter in the equations. These points can then be connected to create a visual representation of the helix. Alternatively, you can use a computer program or graphing calculator to plot the helix based on the parametric equations.

5. Can the equation of a helix be used to find the length of the curve?

Yes, the equation of a helix can be used to find the length of the curve. This can be done by using calculus techniques, such as integration, to find the arc length of the helix. The parametric equations can also be converted into a single equation to make this calculation easier. The resulting length value can be useful in various applications, such as determining the amount of material needed for a helix-shaped structure.