Relativity & Quasars: Spatial Contraction & Density

In summary, when traveling at relativistic speeds, objects experience spatial contraction and an increase in energy density. This is due to length contraction and the kinetic energy of the object being on the order of its rest mass. In the case of a quasar moving at a sufficient speed, it can become a black hole in the observer's frame due to these effects.
b2386
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

Suppose I am traveling at relativistic speeds. An object moving with respect to my frame has undergone spatial contraction. In my frame, does the object's density increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the density does increase.

Energy density, the sort used in the stress-energy tensor, increases by a factor of rougly gamma^2, gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2). This happens by a combination of length contraction and the fact that relativisticly moving objects have kinetic energies on the order of their rest mass.

OK, let's change the situation slightly.

Suppose I am traveling at relativistic speeds. A quasar moving with respect to my frame has undergone spatial contraction. In my frame, does the quasar become a black hole if it is traveling at sufficient speed?

(link) http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~dkoks/Faq/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html

1. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to quasars?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Quasars, which are extremely bright and distant celestial objects, were one of the first pieces of evidence for the theory of relativity, as their redshift (a measure of their distance from Earth) was found to be correlated with their brightness, as predicted by the theory.

2. How does spatial contraction occur in the context of relativity and quasars?

In the theory of relativity, objects that are moving at high speeds will experience a contraction in their length along the direction of motion. This is known as Lorentz contraction. In the case of quasars, which are moving away from us at high speeds due to the expansion of the universe, this spatial contraction is observed as their light is redshifted. This means that the wavelengths of the light emitted by the quasar appear longer to an observer on Earth, causing the light to appear redder.

3. How does the density of quasars relate to the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, mass and energy are equivalent, and the presence of mass warps the fabric of space-time. This warping of space-time can affect the path of light, causing it to bend around massive objects. Quasars, being extremely massive and dense objects, can cause significant distortions in the fabric of space-time, resulting in the bending of light. This effect, known as gravitational lensing, is one of the key pieces of evidence for the theory of relativity.

4. Can the theory of relativity explain the high energy output of quasars?

While the theory of relativity does not directly explain the high energy output of quasars, it does provide the framework for understanding the processes that lead to their extreme brightness. Quasars are powered by supermassive black holes, and the theory of relativity helps to explain how these black holes can release enormous amounts of energy through processes such as accretion and jets.

5. How has the study of quasars contributed to our understanding of the theory of relativity?

Quasars have played a crucial role in the development and testing of the theory of relativity. Their redshifts and high energy output have provided evidence for the theory, and their gravitational lensing effects have helped to confirm its predictions. Furthermore, the study of quasars has led to a deeper understanding of the nature of space-time and gravity, which are fundamental concepts in the theory of relativity.