Discover the Beauty of Differential Geometry: A Visual Guide with Notes

In summary, the conversation is about finding notes on Differential Geometry accompanied with pictures. One person suggests getting notes by Peter Buser and provides a link for it in French. However, another person apologizes for not realizing the notes were in French and suggests asking in a more relevant forum, such as the differential geometry section of the math forum.
Nusc
Does anyone know where I can find a nice set of notes accompanied with pictures on Differential Geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
get the notes by Peter Buser if you don't already have them.

Is there a link for these?

Sorry, I tought they would be easy to find using Google.

http://ima.epfl.ch/~graubry/teaching/BuserGeomELMX/docs/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahah that really sucks because I can't speak french

assume nothing...

I didn't realize they were in french! Doubly sorry :tongue2:

These are nicely illustrated
http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/Stefan_Waner/diff_geom/tc.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
you could try asking somewhere more relevant than the homework section. Like the differential geometry section of the maths forum, just picking a place at random...

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in a higher-dimensional space. It combines the fields of geometry and calculus, and is used to model and analyze physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry is important because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and describing the shapes and structures of objects in our world. It has applications in many areas, including physics, engineering, robotics, computer graphics, and even biology.

3. Is differential geometry difficult to learn?

Like any other branch of mathematics, differential geometry can be challenging to learn. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles. This visual guide aims to make the subject more accessible and intuitive by providing a visual approach to learning.

4. What can I expect to learn from "Discover the Beauty of Differential Geometry"?

This guide will introduce you to the fundamental concepts and techniques of differential geometry, such as curves, surfaces, curvature, and geodesics. It will also provide visual illustrations and explanations to help you develop an intuition for these concepts.

5. Can I apply differential geometry in real life?

Yes, differential geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used to model the shape of objects in space, optimize the design of structures, and create realistic computer-generated images.