Effect of a change of coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a change of coordinates in the wavefunction does not affect the momentum space wavefunction by more than a phase change. It is shown that this is true by using the Fourier transform and rephrasing the question to help solve it. The conversation ends with the suggestion to continue with the rest of the work.
ehrenfest
For a wavefunction given by

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \sum a_n u_n(x) exp(-i E_n T/\hbar) [/tex] how would you show that a change of coordinates x > x + d does not affect the momentum space wavefunction phi(x) by more than a phase change?
You get phi(x) by Fourier transforming psi.
So, I do not see why it would affect psi at all because you are moving the origin d to the left but you are integrating over all pace in the Fourier transform.

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
For a wavefunction given by

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \sum a_n u_n(x) exp(-i E_n T/\hbar) [/tex] how would you show that a change of coordinates x > x + d does not affect the momentum space wavefunction phi(x) by more than a phase change?
You get phi(x) by Fourier transforming psi.
So, I do not see why it would affect psi at all because you are moving the origin d to the left but you are integrating over all pace in the Fourier transform.

You mean we get phi(p) when doing Fourier transformation with respect to p. How is E related to p? Have you tried doing the mathematics or are you just trying to solve it by looking at it? =P

ehrenfest said:

What you are saying exactly is not clear. Do you want to show that for two functions (of 'x') f and g and their Fourier transforms (functions of 'p') F and G, if f and g obey

[tex]
g(x)=f(x+a)
[/tex]

then F and G obey

[tex]
G(p)=e^{ipa}F(p)\;.
[/tex]

Is this what you want to show?

olgranpappy said:
What you are saying exactly is not clear. Do you want to show that for two functions (of 'x') f and g and their Fourier transforms (functions of 'p') F and G, if f and g obey

[tex]
g(x)=f(x+a)
[/tex]

then F and G obey

[tex]
G(p)=e^{ipa}F(p)\;.
[/tex]

Is this what you want to show?
Exactly! That F and G only differ by a phase factor (so their moduli squared are the same).
[tex]
\phi(p,t)
= \int\psi(x+d,t) e^{-i p x/ \hbar}dx
= \int\psi(u,t) e^{-i p (u - d)/ \hbar}du
=e^{i p d/ \hbar} \int\psi(u,t) e^{-i p u/ \hbar}du [/tex]

I think that rephrasing of the question helped me finish it!

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
I think that rephrasing of the question helped me finish it!

I'm glad. Good luck w/ the rest of your work.

1. What is the "effect of a change of coordinates"?

The effect of a change of coordinates refers to the changes that occur in a mathematical system when the coordinates used to describe it are altered. This can include changes in the values, shapes, or relationships between objects within the system.

2. Why is studying the effect of a change of coordinates important?

Studying the effect of a change of coordinates is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for a deeper understanding of how different variables and parameters affect a system, and can help in predicting and controlling its behavior.

3. How does a change of coordinates affect a system's equations?

A change of coordinates can affect a system's equations in several ways. It can change the variables or parameters that are used in the equations, alter the form or structure of the equations, or introduce new relationships between different variables.

4. Can a change of coordinates simplify a problem?

Yes, in some cases a change of coordinates can simplify a problem by transforming it into a more manageable form. For example, a change of coordinates can be used to eliminate complex terms or reduce the number of variables in a system's equations.

5. What are some common techniques used to study the effect of a change of coordinates?

Some common techniques used to study the effect of a change of coordinates include transformation matrices, vector calculus, and differential geometry. These methods allow for a systematic analysis of how coordinates affect a system and can provide valuable insights into its behavior.