TOPOLOGY: homeomorphism between quotient spaces

In summary, the problem is to show that \mathbb{R}^2, \mathbb{R}^2/I, and \mathbb{R}^2/D^2 are homeomorphic. The theorem states that it is enough to find a surjective, continuous map f:X\rightarrow Y to show that X/S(f)\approx Y. The notation \mathbb{R}^2/I means that two points are equivalent if their y-coordinates are equal and their x-coordinates fall in the interval [0,1]. By using this definition, it is possible to find a surjective and continuous map for each case, showing that all three spaces are homeomorphic. The general result that if A is contract
jjou
Show the following spaces are homeomorphic: [tex]\mathbb{R}^2, \mathbb{R}^2/I, \mathbb{R}^2/D^2[/tex].

Note: [tex]D^2[/tex] is the closed ball of radius 1 centered at the origin. [tex]I[/tex] is the closed interval [0,1] in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

THEOREM:
It is enough to find a surjective, continuous map [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex] to show that [tex]X/S(f)\approx Y[/tex].

I can easily show [tex]R^2/D^2 \approx R^2[/tex] by sending every point in [tex]D^2[/tex] to the origin and, for every point outside [tex]D^2[/tex], letting [tex]f(r,\theta)=(r-1,\theta)[/tex].

I am having difficulty showing that [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] is homeomorphic to either [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/D^2[/tex]. First, I do not understand the notation [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] since I is traditionally a subset of R, not R^2. Does [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] mean:

(1) points on the x-axis are equivalent iff the x coordinate falls in [0,1] and all other points (any point x,y where y=/=0) are not equivalent, OR
(2) (x,y)~(w,z) iff y=z and [tex]x,w\in[0,1][/tex], OR
(3) (x,y)~(w,z) iff [tex]x,w\in[0,1][/tex] regardless of y and z?

If it means (2), then I simply take f so that f(x,y)=(0,y) for x in [0,1], f(x,y)=(x-1,y) for x>1 and f(x,y)=(x,y) for x<0.

If it is (1), I can find a surjective (but not continous!) map f that takes [0,1]x{0} to (0,0), (x,0) to (x-1,0) for x>1, and leaves all other points where they are.

For (3), I can find a continuous surjective map from R^2 to R^2/I where f(x,y)=(x,y) for [tex]x\leq0[/tex] and f(x,y)=(x+1,y) for x>0.

Can someone clarify what [tex]\mathbb{R}^2/I[/tex] means? If it means (1), any hints?

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Asked a friend - I think, we're using definition (2) for the problem, in which case I've got a solution.

Thanks. :)

Sorry if this is too late for your needs.

A general result that will help you here is that if A is contractible in X, then

X/A is homeo to X , which kind of makes sense, since you may consider A as

a single point in X, and then X/{pt.} is a trivial quotient. In this case, D^2 is

contractible in R^2 , and I is ( I am.?) also contractible, both in R, and in R^2.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between different spaces. It deals with concepts such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness.

2. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a bijective function between two topological spaces that preserves the topological structure. In other words, it is a function that maps points from one space to another in a way that preserves the open sets and their relationships.

3. What is a quotient space?

A quotient space is a mathematical concept that arises when we want to identify or "glue together" certain points or subsets of a given space. This process creates a new space with a coarser or more simplified topological structure.

4. What does it mean for two quotient spaces to be homeomorphic?

If two quotient spaces are homeomorphic, it means that there exists a homeomorphism between them. In other words, the two spaces have the same topological structure and can be transformed into each other without any distortion or tearing.

5. What are some real-world applications of topology and homeomorphisms?

Topology and homeomorphisms have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include the study of fluid dynamics, the design of computer networks, and the analysis of complex systems such as the human brain.