Breaking Discovery: Missing Matter Found in Cosmic Web, Experts Weigh In

• Thread starter g33kski11z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, astronomers from the University of Colorado at Boulder have found about half of the missing normal matter, known as baryons, in the spaces between galaxies. This discovery may not change the current model of cosmology, which includes 4-6% atoms, 25-28% dark matter, and 70x% dark energy, but it does contribute to our understanding of the universe's energy budget. The study is based on an eprint published in the journal arXiv.
g33kski11z
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080520152013.htm"
University of Colorado at Boulder astronomers said they have definitively found about half of the missing normal matter, called baryons, in the spaces between the galaxies.
... I read this article and I have a few questions for the experts.

Wouldn't this change the 4-6% atoms, 25-28% DM, 70x% DE model of cosmology? .. or are the some how including the "web" matter in this? If it does in fact change the "accepted" breakdown of the universe, wouldn't this be a huge find?

I know in the article it states this is not to be confused with dark matter, but wouldn't this "web" then also extend though out the internal structure of a given galaxy? .. and play a part in the additional gravity that galaxies need? .. or maybe I'm just confused ..

.. or will this be refuted in a few weeks / months..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
hmm the article seems to confuse so very different concepts, it's hard to see the science behind the pop sci? Anyone know the journal article this is based on?

Edit: Okay found it, http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4030" is the eprint. After a quick skim I can answer the OP, what this work is aimed at doing is finding the missing baryons, which are still part of the standard ~4% but aren't easily seen. That is to say, much of the 4% of baryons is difficult to see, due to the form it is in, in addition to the vast amounts of invisible dark matter. Short answer then is that this result supports the standard energy budget breakup rather than changing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up Wallace.. your expertise is appreciated. :)

1. What is the cosmic web?

The cosmic web is a large-scale structure of the universe that is made up of galaxies, gas, and dark matter. It is the most massive known structure in the universe and is shaped by the force of gravity.

2. How was the cosmic web discovered?

The cosmic web was discovered through observations and simulations. Scientists used telescopes to map the distribution of galaxies and their movements, and computer simulations were used to model the evolution of the universe.

3. What is the significance of the discovery of the cosmic web?

The discovery of the cosmic web has provided insight into the formation and evolution of the universe. It has also helped scientists better understand the distribution of matter and the effects of dark matter on the universe.

4. How does the cosmic web affect our understanding of the universe?

The cosmic web helps us understand the large-scale structure of the universe and how galaxies are connected to each other. It also provides evidence for the existence of dark matter, which is crucial in understanding the dynamics of the universe.

5. Can the cosmic web be seen with the naked eye?

No, the cosmic web cannot be seen with the naked eye. It is a large-scale structure that is spread out across the entire universe, and its components are only visible through powerful telescopes and computer simulations.