Work-energy theorem in relation to the velocity of two masses

In summary, the masses are connected by a light, frictionless pulley. The table surface that m1 is on is also frictionless. Apply the work-energy theorem for this system to calculate the speed of the masses after the masses have moved a distance delta x starting from rest. The work of the tensions drop out, so the acceleration of the system is just the mass that's hanging's weight times the distance moved.
lfused
Two masses are connecte by a ligh string over a light, frictionless pulley the table surface that m2 is on is also frictionless. Apply the work-energy theorem for this system to calculate the speed of the masses after the masses have moved a distance delta x starting from rest. Note that the work of the tensions drop out. Use the result to obtain the acceleration of the system.

I've looked at this problem for a while now and I just don't know how to get the work of the tensions to drop out given that if m1 is that mass that's hanging and the forces working on it is F= T1-m1g and the forces working on the mass on the table (m2) is N-mg=ma=0 and T2-m2g=F...
yeah. I understand that F=ma and that W=dF= 1/2mv2
but I just can't seem to understand how the tensions fall out of the equasion..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi lfused,

What is the work done by the tension on each of the blocks? How are [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] related?

Also, is m2 on a table? If so, your horizontal equation for m2 is not quite right.

ok here's an image to show what's going on here http://www.geocities.com/liquid_fuse/masses.gif

The mass is a frictionless surface so what other forces could be acting on it on the x-axis?

Answer alphysicist's questions:
  • How do the tension forces on each mass relate to one another?
  • Regarding mass 2, what horizontal forces act on it?

T1 is the vertical force pulling m1 up and T2 is the horizontal force pulling m2 towards the pulley. And it seems that T2 is the only force that acts on m2..

lfused said:
And it seems that T2 is the only force that acts on m2..
Yes, T2 is the only horizontal force on m2. But how does T1 relate to T2? (Is one bigger than the other? Which one?)

I've already presented all the information given for that problem. Although.. sorry about the typos..

What you are missing is just a basic fact about the tension in a massless string that loops around a massless and frictionless pulley: The tension is the same throughout.

so.. I can just assume that? wow.. that seems too simple..

thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. ^_^

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the change in kinetic energy of an object is equal to the net work done on the object.

How does the work-energy theorem relate to the velocity of two masses?

The work-energy theorem can be applied to the velocity of two masses by considering the net work done on both masses and the change in their kinetic energies.

Can the work-energy theorem be used to compare the velocities of two masses?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be used to compare the velocities of two masses by calculating the net work done on each mass and comparing their resulting kinetic energies.

What is the formula for the work-energy theorem?

The formula for the work-energy theorem is: ΔK = W, where ΔK is the change in kinetic energy and W is the net work done.

Is the work-energy theorem applicable to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem is applicable to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and even systems with multiple masses.