Can one diagonalize the Kerr metric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of diagonalizing the Kerr metric in Boyer-Lindquist coordinates. It is suggested that transforming to a co-rotating frame may make the calculations easier, but it is later discovered that this transformation does not diagonalize the metric. A theorem by Achille Papapetrou is mentioned, which requires the metric to be well-behaved on the axis of rotation in order to get close to a diagonal form. However, it is pointed out that every spacetime metric is diagonalizable, but not necessarily by a coordinate basis. The question of whether the Kerr metric can be diagonalized everywhere except on the axis of rotation is raised, but it is noted that the metric is not necessarily static, which
arroy_0205
Is it possible to diagonalize the Kerr metric in the Boyer-Lindquist coordinates? If so then I think calculations with the metric will become easier. I forget under what condition a matrix can be diagonalized. Can anybody remind me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you transform to a co-rotating frame, the off-diagonal term will be zero. I might try it when I have more time.

[edit] I have since discovered that this transformation does not diagonalise the metric.

M

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is not possible. The reason that one can get as close as one off-diagonal term is a theorem by Achille Papapetrou. This requires that the metric be well-behaved on the axis of rotation. (Roy Kerr)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is it possible to diagonalize the metric every where except on the axis of rotation? In other words, is the problem that no general diagonalization exists, or that it is simply a non-diagonalizable matrix? The second seems improbable to me, since the metric is symmetric and thus always diagonalizable, even unitarily, but I don't know much about the Kerr solution so maybe something weird is going on.

Notice who made post #3.

Every spacetime metric is diagonalizable, but not necessarily by a coordinate basis, i.e., there does not necessarily exist a coordinate system that diagonalizes the metric.

Isn't diagonalizability in a certain choice of coordinates equivalent to staticity? Since the Kerr metric isn't static, it seems to me that we don't need no fancy theorems as claimed in #3. Am I oversimplifying or getting something wrong?

1. What is the Kerr metric?

The Kerr metric is a mathematical model that describes the curvature of spacetime around a rotating black hole. It was first proposed by physicist Roy Kerr in 1963 as an extension of the Schwarzschild metric, which describes a non-rotating black hole.

2. Can the Kerr metric be diagonalized?

Yes, the Kerr metric can be diagonalized. This means that it can be written in a simpler form where the equations are easier to solve and understand. The diagonal form of the Kerr metric is known as the Boyer-Lindquist coordinates.

3. What is the significance of diagonalizing the Kerr metric?

Diagonalizing the Kerr metric allows scientists to better understand the behavior of matter and light around a rotating black hole. It also helps in making accurate predictions about the spacetime curvature and the effects of rotation on black holes.

4. How is the Kerr metric diagonalized?

The Kerr metric is diagonalized using a mathematical technique known as coordinate transformation. This involves changing the coordinates in the equation to a simpler form that is easier to work with. In the case of the Kerr metric, the transformation leads to the Boyer-Lindquist coordinates.

5. What are the applications of diagonalizing the Kerr metric?

Diagonalizing the Kerr metric has many practical applications in astrophysics and general relativity. It allows scientists to accurately calculate the properties of rotating black holes, such as their mass, spin, and event horizon. It also helps in understanding the behavior of matter and light in the extreme gravitational fields near black holes.