Gravity Propagation Experiment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of conducting an experiment to directly measure the speed of gravity, as it is still not fully understood. It also raises the question of whether cosmological observations could provide more insight and evidence. The conversation began with a hypothetical scenario of the Sun suddenly being altered and the Earth continuing its curved path for eight minutes before any change is noticed. The conversation then leads to a discussion about a home-brew demonstration of gravity effect and the potential for using similar equipment to carry modern instrumentation. The conversation ends with a quote from Melville Feynman about the mysterious nature of gravity and the understanding of inertia.
GTrax
So - if the Sun were to be suddenly altered in a unlikely collision, The Earth would continue it's curved path for about eight minutes before we all became somewhat alarmed..

There is a excellent home-brew demonstration of gravity effect using a torsion balance, done in a University basement.
It also has a very nice video clip, :smile: and can be seen at this link ..
http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/"

Could similar equipment be arranged to carry some modern instrumentation? I can imagine one moving and one fixed mass to be fitted with a mirror, and some arrangement of lasers and optical detectors, and then arrange for the fixed mass to meet with an "accident" with a view to measuring the delay before the lack of force is recorded about a metre away (3.3nS)

Unrealistic it is! I can imagine instead a heavy asymmetric dumb-bell rotated at high speed about it's balance point right up near a mass in a vacuum chamber. Both would be instrumented with a view to discovering the time delay. If necessary, a timed "accident" could be arranged (beginning to sound like a gangster movie here!) I am sure there are folk very much more skilled who could dream up an effective experiment.

Surely a direct confirmation that gravity effect really does propagate at the speed of light is essential. The search for the Higg's boson is under way. So far, it seems we have to acknowledge the Quantum Standard Model as one of the most successful physics theories ever - except for gravity! Gravity is not light. It is not like light!

Of course, if we already know this speed for sure, I freely withdraw - embarrassed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seem to me that Taylor's and Hulse's pulsar gives the best estimation of speed of gravity vg. (1% if the model vg = c is used) But if model with infinite vg is used, what is then given by this pulsar?

Thanks very much for the reply.
I had thought that cosmological observations would maybe provide a better insight and evidence.

I should explain that in this context, I was rapidly taken out of my depth by innocent questions from children. Showing them the little video clip about "basement gravity in action" led to the question "So what makes it pull - how does it really work"?

What could I say? I could hardly mention "Higgs Boson" or "Graviton". So I headed for cover, and ducked the question by quoting Melville Feynman (father of Richard), who said..
quote Melville Feynman:
"That, nobody knows! Things that are moving try to keep on moving, and things that are standing still tend to stand still, unless you push them hard. This tendency is called inertia, but nobody knows why it's true".

1. What is a gravity propagation experiment?

A gravity propagation experiment is a scientific experiment that aims to study the propagation of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects moving or colliding. These experiments typically involve measuring the effects of gravity on test masses or using detectors to detect the presence of gravitational waves.

2. Why is the study of gravity propagation important?

The study of gravity propagation is important because it can provide valuable insights into the nature of space-time and the behavior of massive objects in the universe. It can also help us better understand phenomena such as black holes, neutron stars, and the origins of the universe.

3. How do scientists conduct gravity propagation experiments?

Gravity propagation experiments can be conducted in various ways, depending on the specific goals of the experiment. Some common methods include using interferometers to measure tiny changes in the distance between objects caused by passing gravitational waves, using lasers to measure the deflection of light caused by gravity, and using computer simulations to model the effects of gravity on objects.

4. What are some current gravity propagation experiments being conducted?

Some current gravity propagation experiments include the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), which has successfully detected gravitational waves from merging black holes, and the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), which aims to detect low-frequency gravitational waves from sources such as supermassive black holes.

5. What are the potential applications of gravity propagation research?

The potential applications of gravity propagation research are vast and varied. Some potential applications include better understanding the behavior of celestial objects, improving navigation systems, and developing new technologies for communicating and detecting gravitational waves. Additionally, further research in this field could lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.