Potential inside (and outside) a charged spherical shell

In summary, the potential V(x) both inside and outside a uniformly charge spherical surface, with total charge Q and radius R, is given by: V(\vec{x})=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{\rho(\vec{x'})d^{3}x'}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|} or V(r)=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r} \frac{1}{2xR} [\sqrt{(R + x)^{2}} - \sqrt{(R - x)^{2}}].
russdot
[solved] Potential inside (and outside) a charged spherical shell

Homework Statement

Use the integral (i) to determine the potential V(x) both inside and outside a uniformly charge spherical surface, with total charge Q and radius R.

Homework Equations

(i) V([tex]\vec{x}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{\rho(\vec{x'})d^{3}x'}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}[/tex]
[tex]\rho(\vec{x'}) = \frac{Q}{4\pi R^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

if the x vector is along the z axis (can exploit spherical symmetry), then |x-x'| = [tex]\sqrt{x^{2} + R^{2} - 2xRcos\theta}[/tex]. (using cosine law)
Then
V([tex]\vec{x}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{sin\theta d\theta}{\sqrt{x^{2} + R^{2} - 2xRcos\theta}}[/tex]

V(x) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}x}[/tex]
or
V(r) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/tex]
Which is correct for outside the spherical shell, but I can't figure out how |x - x'| would be any different (or what else should be different) for inside the spherical shell to get
V(r) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}[/tex]

I realize there are better/easier ways of doing this, but the question says to use that integral specifically...

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't you have:

[tex]V(x)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{2} \int_0^{x} \int_{0}^{\pi }\frac{sin \theta ' dx' d \theta '}{\sqrt{(x')^{2} + R^{2} - 2(x')Rcos \theta '}}[/tex]

I understand that the integration over [itex]\phi '[/itex] gave you [itex]2 \pi[/itex] , but what happened to the integration over [itex]x'[/itex]?

Well [tex]d^{3}x'[/tex] turns into [tex]r^{2}sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex] and since r is constant at R (spherical shell) then an R^2 comes out of the integral and cancels the R^2 in the denominator from the charge density rho = Q / (4 pi R^2).

I also figured out the problem, after integration:
[tex]V(x) = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{1}{2xR} [\sqrt{(R + x)^{2}} - \sqrt{(R - x)^{2}}][/tex]
and I forgot to consider the different cases for [tex]\sqrt{(R - x)^{2}}[/tex] when x > R (outside spherical shell) and x<R (inside).

Last edited:
Since your dealing with a surface charge, and not a volume charge, you should have:

[tex] V(\vec{x})=\int \frac{\sigma (\vec{r'}) d^2 x'}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma (\vec{r'})= Q/4 \pi R^2 [/itex] is the surface charge density.

Yes, you're right. The form I used was ambiguous, sorry about that!
I guess I just jumped right to using [tex]R^{2}sin\theta' d\theta' d\phi[/tex] as the surface area element.
I have solved the problem though, thanks for the assistance!

No problem, but I wasn't much assistance:smile:

1. What is the potential inside a charged spherical shell?

The potential inside a charged spherical shell is constant and does not depend on the distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the charge on the shell is distributed uniformly, creating a symmetrical electric field that cancels out inside the shell.

2. Does the potential inside a charged spherical shell change if the charge on the shell is increased?

No, the potential inside a charged spherical shell remains constant regardless of the charge on the shell. This is because the electric field inside the shell is still symmetrical and cancels out, resulting in a constant potential.

3. How does the potential outside a charged spherical shell differ from the potential inside?

The potential outside a charged spherical shell follows the same pattern as a point charge, where the potential decreases with distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field outside the shell is not cancelled out and is dependent on the distance from the shell.

4. Can the potential inside a charged spherical shell ever be negative?

No, the potential inside a charged spherical shell is always positive. This is because the electric field inside the shell is always pointing towards the center of the sphere, resulting in a positive potential.

5. How does the potential inside a charged spherical shell change if the shell is moved to a different location?

The potential inside a charged spherical shell does not change if the shell is moved to a different location. This is because the potential is dependent on the charge and not the location of the shell. However, the potential outside the shell may change depending on the distance from the center of the sphere.