Why do antiparticles annihilate on contact with normal matter?

• Thread starter physicophile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Annihilation
In summary, the particles antiparticles annihilate because they interact through processes that conserve some of the particle's quantum numbers.
physicophile
Hello, everyone. I have searched google and wiki, but have not been able to find the solution to my question. I was wondering why do antiparticles annihilate on contact with normal matter?

If someone could help explain this to me or send me a link on where i can get this information it would be great?

I am assuming that has something to do with wave cancellations, but i am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
They do it because they must I would say. But I stress you should think of what the word "contact" means in quantum mechanics.. what does it mean?

"Contact" is a word that doesn't belong in this context. The proper term is "interaction".

A positron (=anti-electron) isn't going to destroy a neutrino for example. They will hardly interact at all. If you e.g. send a positron towards a proton, it will just be repelled unless the speed is very high and the aim is perfect. If on the other hand you put a positron close to an electron, with almost the same velocity, they will often destroy each other because they attract, and they can destroy each other without violating conservation of charge.

I was wondering this myself... There must be some theory on why they annihilate? Or is the fact that they do all based on observations?

I think you are getting hung up on the word "annihilate". Particles interact with each other through a number of processes. In some of them, the particle's identity is preserved at the end of the reaction. In others it's not.

Nick89 said:
I was wondering this myself... There must be some theory on why they annihilate? Or is the fact that they do all based on observations?
I know it's hard to see this, but that question is actually a bit like asking if there's a theory that explains why bananas falls to the ground when you drop them. You don't need a separate theory describing "annihilation" just as you don't need a special theory for bananas. Every quantum field theory that describes particles also describes their antiparticles. "Annihilation" is just one of many ways the particles can interact. If you put a lot of antiprotons near a lot of protons, you can expect it to happen a lot just because there's an attractive "force" between particles of opposite charge.

One way to think about it, are conserved quantum numbers. Although there are interactions such as positronium where electrons temporarily form bound states with positrons, if we look at the big particle physics picture of infinite plain waves, we look at all the things we need to conserve, like energy, momentum and the quantum numbers.
If we start with one state and there are more states where all the conserved properties match, the system will enter the other states as well. Maybe you could think of it as tunneling.
So since two photons have the same quantum numbers as the electron positron pair it will - during some black box interaction - leak into the photon state. You can even argue what the chances are for certain states, depending on how many there are, so if there are more photon states it will prefer those over other matter anti matter pairs.
From the photon state it will usually not return, because the photons fly away in opposite directions and leave the setup. Photons do not have the benefit to be attracted to each other, which makes matter-anti-matter interactions more likely than photon collisions.
Of course you can do exact QFT calculations, possibly with wave packets or positronium states, but someone else has to help you with that.

1. What is antiparticle annihilation?

Antiparticle annihilation is a process in which a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into energy in the form of photons or other particles.

2. How does antiparticle annihilation occur?

Antiparticle annihilation occurs when a particle and its antiparticle come into contact and annihilate each other, releasing energy in the process. This can happen naturally in high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators or during the early stages of the universe.

3. What is the significance of antiparticle annihilation in physics?

Antiparticle annihilation is significant because it helps explain the conservation of energy in particle interactions. It also has practical applications in medical imaging, as it is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans.

4. Can antiparticle annihilation be used to generate energy?

While antiparticle annihilation does release a large amount of energy, it is not currently a viable source of energy production due to the high energy requirements and technological limitations. However, research is ongoing to explore the potential of harnessing this process for energy production in the future.

5. Are there any real-world examples of antiparticle annihilation?

Yes, antiparticle annihilation has been observed in various experiments, such as in the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, where scientists were able to create and detect antiprotons annihilating with protons. It also occurs naturally in cosmic rays and in the decay of radioactive elements.