How to Calculate Electric Field of Half Spherical Shell with Gauss Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field of half a spherical shell with a uniform surface charge density along its axis of symmetry. The suggestion is made to use Gauss' law, but there is uncertainty about finding a closed Gauss surface above the half spherical shell. The conversation also references a link for further explanation and guidance.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I got this question:
"Calculate the electric field of half a spherical shell with radius R and uniform surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] along its axis of symmetry above the shell."
I guess I shell use Gauss law, the thing is that the Gauss surface will not be closed above the half spherical shell so I though about calculating the electric field for a full spherical shell and then divide it by 2 to get the electric field above the upper half spherical shell.
What do you say? is that the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?

LowlyPion said:
If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?

Yeah, it's like a salad bowl turned face down :smile:
I need to find a closed Gauss surface that will contain this "bowl" and I can't think of one.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.".

Thanks a lot.

I didn't understand what you mean by ...
I was simply referring to your notion that you would take the integral of a whole sphere and then take away the mirror of the salad bowl.

1. What is a half charged spherical shell?

A half charged spherical shell is a type of conducting sphere that has an electric charge distributed on its surface, but only on one half of the sphere. The other half of the sphere is uncharged.

2. How is a half charged spherical shell different from a fully charged spherical shell?

A fully charged spherical shell has an electric charge distributed evenly on its entire surface, while a half charged spherical shell only has an electric charge on one half of its surface.

3. What causes a half charged spherical shell to have an electric charge?

The electric charge on a half charged spherical shell is caused by the presence of external electric fields. These fields can induce a separation of charges on the surface of the sphere, resulting in a half charged distribution.

4. How does the electric field inside a half charged spherical shell behave?

The electric field inside a half charged spherical shell is zero. This is because the electric charges on the surface of the sphere are distributed in such a way that they cancel out the electric field inside the shell.

5. What are some real-life applications of a half charged spherical shell?

One common application of a half charged spherical shell is in electrostatic painting. The half charged distribution of electric charges on the surface of the sphere allows for a more efficient and controlled deposition of paint on the object being painted. Half charged spherical shells are also used in some types of electrostatic generators and capacitors.