Calculating Electric Flux Through a Cube with a Non-Uniform Electric Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric flux through each face of a cube with a non-uniform electric field. The participants discuss using the definition of flux and considering the angle of the field vectors through the surface. Calculus is needed to account for the non-uniformity of the electric field.
Oblivion77

Homework Statement

33nc4g7.png

20zp4s3.png

Homework Equations

E * A

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the electric flux through each face. I am a bit confused. I believe the flux through sides 3 and 1 are zero because those sides are parallel to the electric field. The whole flux through the cube should be 0, I am not sure how to find the electric flux through the other sides because the electric field has 2 components.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would the angle be Tan(3.27/5.20) for the electric field?

Ok, if I start to write out the area vectors I get.

A1 = -L[tex]^{2}[/tex]j
A2 = L[tex]^{2}[/tex]k
A3 = L[tex]^{2}[/tex]j
A4 = -L[tex]^{2}[/tex]k
A5 = L[tex]^{2}[/tex]i
A6 = -L[tex]^{2}[/tex]i

Now I need to multiple these by the electric field, what is the best way to do it?

anyone?

Use the definition of flux. It is the dot product of the electric field and the outwardly directed area vector. Since the electric field is non-uniform, you will need to do a little calculus. You should notice that the x-coordinate is constant on two faces, and the z-coordinate is constant on two faces.

I am still confused, I haven't really done a problem before with a non-uniform electric field. My textbook doesn't really have any good examples of this.

Ahhh, I think I understand it now.

1. What is electric flux through a cube?

Electric flux through a cube is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface of a cube. It is a scalar quantity that is defined as the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of the surface.

2. How is electric flux through a cube calculated?

The electric flux through a cube can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of each face of the cube. This can then be summed up for all faces of the cube to get the total electric flux. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is volt meters squared per meter squared (V·m2/m2), which is equivalent to newton meters squared per coulomb (N·m2/C).

4. How does the orientation of the cube affect the electric flux through it?

The orientation of the cube does not affect the electric flux through it. The electric flux through a closed surface is independent of the orientation of the surface as long as it encloses the same charge. However, the direction of the electric field will change based on the orientation of the cube.

5. What factors can affect the electric flux through a cube?

The electric flux through a cube can be affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and shape of the cube, and the presence of any charges within the cube. Additionally, the medium in which the cube is placed can also affect the electric flux through it, as the permittivity of the medium will alter the strength of the electric field.