Determining Force applied so mass will stay at rest

In summary, to keep a weight of mass 12.5 Kg at rest in the given scenario, a force of 122.5 N must be applied to the rope. To find the tension in each part of the rope, a free body diagram of the pulley directly over the hanging mass can be drawn and it must be true that the forces acting on it are balanced.
uazaga
A weight of mass 12.5 Kg hangs from very light pulleys as shown in fig. What force must be applied to the rope so that the mass stays at rest.

M=12.5 Kg
W=mg
a=g=9/8 m/s^2

M=12.5 Kg
W = mg = 12.5 x 9.8 = 122.5 N
I've done this much but I have no clue what to do now. Can someone please help me out?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the figure doesn't show, therefore i am unable to help u, if u want u can send it to my email so i can try it. its [email address deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you find the tension in each part of the rope and relate it to the weight you have calculated? Hint: Draw a free body diagram of the pulley that is directly over the hanging mass. If that pulley is at rest, what must be true about the forces acting on it?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for determining force applied to keep a mass at rest?

The formula for determining force applied to keep a mass at rest is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do you calculate the required force if the mass is already at rest?

If the mass is already at rest, then the acceleration is equal to 0. This means that the formula for determining force applied becomes F = m x 0, which simplifies to F = 0. Therefore, no force is required to keep the mass at rest.

3. What unit of measurement is used for force?

The standard unit of measurement for force is the Newton (N). However, other units such as pounds (lb) or kilograms-force (kgf) may also be used, depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the amount of force needed to keep it at rest?

The mass of an object directly affects the amount of force needed to keep it at rest. The greater the mass, the greater the force required. This is because a greater mass requires a greater acceleration to move, and therefore a greater force must be applied.

5. Can friction affect the amount of force needed to keep a mass at rest?

Yes, friction can affect the amount of force needed to keep a mass at rest. Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, and it can make it more difficult to keep an object at rest. Therefore, more force may be required to overcome the force of friction and keep the mass at rest.