Calculating Material Thickness: 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm

In summary: This involves dividing by (1000 mm/m)2 = 106 mm2/m2. So the area, in m2, isA = (200 mm2) / (106 mm2/m2) = 2x10-4 m2Now you can do the calculation for thickness.Hi, thanks for the reply, think I am having a christmas moment.The area should be 10mm x 20mm = 200mm in m 200 x 10-3 therefore 0.2mThickness = 5,000 x 0.2/ 1,000 = 1mmHow does this seemIn summary, to calculate the thickness of a conductive sheet
Kev1n
1. A conductive sheet of material has a CSA of 10mm x 20mm. Reisistivity of 103 (10 to the 3, 10,000) ohms M. Calculate thickness of the material required to give resistance of 5k ohms

2. Ro = RA/l , where l would be thickness, l = RA/Ro

3. Thickness = 5,000 x 0.2 / 10,000 = o.1m therefore 100m

Comments appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some problems with your calculation:
103 is not 10,000.

The area is not 0.2 (is that supposed to be in m2?). Try converting the mm values to meters first. Remember, 1 mm is 10-3 m.​

Redbelly98 said:
There are some problems with your calculation:
103 is not 10,000.

The area is not 0.2 (is that supposed to be in m2?). Try converting the mm values to meters first. Remember, 1 mm is 10-3 m.​

Thickness = 5,000 x 0.0002/ 1,000 = 1 x 10-3m therefore 1mm

or do I have to sq the .ooo2 giving:

=5,000 x 4x10-8 / 1,000 = 2 x 10-7

One of those is correct! :smile: Here are 2 questions to help you decide which:

1. How did you get the 0.0002 value for the area, and therefore what are the units associated with this value?

2. Are these units (from my previous question) correct units for an area, or would you need to square the units to to get an area?

Note: correct units for area can be expressed as m2, m·m, mm2, or mm·mm.

Redbelly98 said:
One of those is correct! :smile: Here are 2 questions to help you decide which:

1. How did you get the 0.0002 value for the area, and therefore what are the units associated with this value?

2. Are these units (from my previous question) correct units for an area, or would you need to square the units to to get an area?

Note: correct units for area can be expressed as m2, m·m, mm2, or mm·mm.

Hi, thanks for the reply, think I am having a christmas moment.
The area should be 10mm x 20mm = 200mm in m 200 x 10-3 therefore 0.2m
Thickness = 5,000 x 0.2/ 1,000 = 1mm

How does this seem

Kev1n said:
Hi, thanks for the reply, think I am having a christmas moment.
The area should be 10mm x 20mm = 200mm ...
I'll stop your post here and make a comment about units.

Just as you multiplied 10 x 20 to get 200, we also need to multiply mm x mm, (since mm appears twice in the values being multiplied) and that gives us mm2. So the units will be mm2, not simply mm as you wrote.

Since mm2 is a unit of area, we have A=200 mm2 for the area. Do not square this value to do the calculation; that would result in units of mm4 which is not a unit of area.

Of course, if you seem to be working in MKS units, we do need to convert from mm2 to m2

1. How do you calculate material thickness for 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm?

To calculate material thickness, you will need to use the formula: thickness = (resistance x cross-sectional area)/resistivity. Plug in the given values of 5k Ohms for resistance, 10mm for cross-sectional area, and the resistivity of the material and solve for thickness.

2. What is the resistivity of the material used for 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm?

The resistivity of a material can vary depending on its composition and temperature. You will need to refer to a table or database of resistivity values for different materials to find the specific resistivity for the material used in this case.

3. Can I use a different unit for cross-sectional area when calculating material thickness?

Yes, you can use different units for cross-sectional area as long as they are consistent with the unit used for resistivity. For example, if the resistivity is given in ohm-meters, you can use a cross-sectional area in square meters or square centimeters.

4. How does the material thickness affect the resistance in a 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm?

The material thickness affects the resistance in a 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm according to the formula: resistance = (resistivity x length)/cross-sectional area. As the thickness increases, the cross-sectional area decreases, resulting in a higher resistance.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum material thickness for a 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm?

There is no specific maximum or minimum material thickness for a 5k Ohms CSA 10mm x 20mm. However, the thickness must be within a certain range to maintain the desired resistance. It is important to consider the material's resistivity and the desired resistance when selecting a suitable thickness.