Statistics - related pdfs

• Thread starter Ferrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
PDF with respect to v. After some calculations, we get:F_v = 1/(v-f) for 2f(f-v) < v < 3f(f-v)F_v = 0 otherwiseUsing this CDF, we can find the mean and mode of v. The mean is given by:E[v] = Integral(v*f_v) from 0 to infinityAfter solving this integral, we get:E[v] = (9f^2-6f^2*ln(3/2))/(2f^2)For the mode, we need to find the value of v for which the PDF is maximum. This occurs at the peak of the PDF, which is at v
Ferrus

Homework Statement

I am given the lens maker's equation:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f

Then told that U and V are random variables based on this equation.

U is uniformly distributed between 2f and 3f.

The question is to prove the pdf of V is f/(v-f)^2 and find the cdf for V. Also - find the mean and mode of V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The PDF for U seems to be:

f_u = U/f for U 2f < U < 3f (not they should be 'less than and equal etc.)
f_u = 0 otherwise

And the cumulative distribution seems to be

F_U=

0 for U < 2f
U-2f/f for 2f < U < 3f
1 for 3f < U

Now my attempts to translate into V have failed. I tried the transformation u = fv/f-v but with no luck in getting any algebra that is meaningful.

I realize that f is related to both u and v in a way that makes simple substitutions of probablity difficult to incorporate. Some help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempts to solve this problem. I would like to provide some guidance and assistance in solving this problem.

First, let's start by looking at the given lens maker's equation:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f

This equation relates the object distance (u), image distance (v), and focal length (f) of a lens. It can also be rewritten as:

v = uf/(u-f)

Now, let's focus on the random variables u and v. As you correctly mentioned, u is uniformly distributed between 2f and 3f. This means that the probability density function (PDF) for u can be written as:

f_u = 1/f for 2f < u < 3f
f_u = 0 otherwise

Next, we need to find the PDF for v. To do this, we will use the transformation method. This method involves finding the relationship between the random variables u and v, and using it to transform the PDF of u to the PDF of v.

In this case, we can use the relationship v = uf/(u-f) to transform the PDF of u to the PDF of v. The transformation formula is given by:

f_v = (1/f)*|du/dv|

where du/dv is the derivative of u with respect to v. In this case, we have:

du/dv = f(u-f)/(v^2)

Substituting this into the transformation formula, we get:

f_v = (1/f)*(f(u-f)/(v^2)) = (u-f)/(v^2)

Now, we need to find the range of v for which this PDF is valid. Since u is uniformly distributed between 2f and 3f, we can write:

2f < u < 3f
2f < v/(f-v) < 3f
2f(f-v) < v < 3f(f-v)

From this, we can see that the range of v is dependent on the value of u. Therefore, we can write the PDF for v as a piecewise function:

f_v = (u-f)/(v^2) for 2f(f-v) < v < 3f(f-v)
f_v = 0 otherwise

Next, we need to find the cumulative distribution function (CDF) for v. This can be done

1. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics uses data to make predictions and generalizations about a larger population.

2. How do I determine which statistical test to use for my data?

The type of statistical test to use depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to consult with a statistician or reference a statistical guide to ensure you are using the appropriate test.

3. What is the purpose of a p-value in statistics?

The p-value is used to determine the probability of obtaining results at least as extreme as the observed results, assuming the null hypothesis is true. It helps determine the significance of the results and whether they can be attributed to chance or a true effect.

4. Can I use statistics to prove causation?

No, statistics can only show a correlation between variables, not causation. Other factors need to be considered and controlled for in order to determine a causal relationship.

5. How do I interpret a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to include the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. For example, a 95% confidence interval means that if we were to repeat the study multiple times, 95% of the time the true population parameter would fall within the given range.