Minimum number of relays per h-bridge

• Thread starter ramonegumpert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum Per
In summary, constructing an H bridge using 2 SPDT relays is possible, as suggested by experts in a forum discussion. This method is different from the more commonly found H bridges using 4 SPST relays or other types of relays. It is also possible to use 1 DPDT relay, but it is important to choose between "make before break" or "break before make" contacts. However, it is important to note that certain motors may not operate bi-directionally at full speed and may require slowing down or stopping before reversing direction.
ramonegumpert
Hi experts,
:cool:
Is it possible to form a h-bridge using 2 spdt relays?
What i can find on the net are h-bridges using 4 spst relays or using other types of relays.

sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you think? Would it be possible to construct and H bridge with 1 DPDT relay?

Yes. You need to choose between "make before break" (Form D) or "break before make" (Form C) contacts.

Bob S

skeptic2 said:
What do you think? Would it be possible to construct and H bridge with 1 DPDT relay?

i think it is possible and connected one to test but the motor did not operate bi-directionally according to plan. That is why i wanted to confirm this.

Bob S said:
Yes. You need to choose between "make before break" (Form D) or "break before make" (Form C) contacts.

Bob S

Thanks Bob S!o:)

ramonegumpert said:
i think it is possible and connected one to test but the motor did not operate bi-directionally according to plan. That is why i wanted to confirm this.
On certain motors, like fractional HP induction motors (capacitor start, split phase, repulsion start), there is a starting coil and a running coil. If you try to reverse the motor at full speed, it won't. It has to slow down until the centrifugal switch engages, and preferably until it stops before you reverse it.

Bob S

ramonegumpert said:
Hi experts,
:cool:
Is it possible to form a h-bridge using 2 spdt relays?
What i can find on the net are h-bridges using 4 spst relays or using other types of relays.

sincerely
Ramone

Yes, see the last entry in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=381478

You would just connect the two coils of the relays in parallel or in series and switch them at the same time.

1. What is the purpose of using relays in an h-bridge?

Relays are used in h-bridges to control the direction of current flow in a motor or other high-power device. They act as switches, allowing current to flow in one direction or the other, depending on the state of the h-bridge.

2. How many relays are typically needed for an h-bridge?

The minimum number of relays required for an h-bridge is two. However, some h-bridges may use more than two relays for added functionality or to handle higher power loads.

3. Can I use transistors instead of relays in an h-bridge?

Yes, it is possible to use transistors in place of relays in an h-bridge. However, transistors may not be able to handle as much current as relays, so they may not be suitable for high-power applications.

4. How does the number of relays affect the performance of an h-bridge?

The number of relays used in an h-bridge can affect its performance in several ways. Using more relays can provide more precise control over the direction and speed of a motor, but it can also increase the complexity and cost of the h-bridge.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a minimum number of relays in an h-bridge?

Using the minimum number of relays in an h-bridge can limit the functionality and precision of the device. It may also make the h-bridge more susceptible to malfunction or damage if one of the relays fails. Using more relays can provide a backup in case of a relay failure and can also allow for more advanced control of the device.