Single Op Amp as a voltage regulator?

In summary, this circuit can be used to regulate an output voltage but it would be more practical to use a BJT to provide the output power. The 10 volt battery is necessary to provide the 1 volt output.
nand_1
Hello all.

I was just wondering if it is possible to use an inverting opamp configuration with feedback to regulate an output voltage V0 without the use of BJT's?

For example, the following sketch:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2389/opamp.png

V0 = Vs * (R1-R2) /2R1
Mathematically, V0 seems to be independent of load resistance Rl (not shown in diagram) so in effect V0 is regulated (provided we are within the limits of op amp).

My problem is that in every regulator example i have seen, a minimum of an Op Amp and a bjt is used. This gets me thinking that there must be something so wrong/bad with this single opamp regulator that it is never used.

Any comments appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, signals and power should be treated seperately. Signals are typically low currents that carry information and power is something with a high current that keeps your device running. Op amps are typically used to control signals. A cheap run-of-the-mill op amp cannot push too much current. That makes it a less than ideal voltage source. A BJT can be chosen to handle a large power throughput.

So, you could use an op amp as a source but it wouldn't be able to output much power. Instead, you can use the op amp to control a BJT which can provide a huge power.

If you want to pay big bucks you can get an old fashioned "brick" that can serve the purpose of an op amp and supply big currents too.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that in the examples you've seen the BJT is used to increase the current sourcing capability. As long as you don't exceed the current sourcing capability of the opamp, that circuit looks reasonable. Don't forget that the output voltage will still depend upon the stability of the voltage source and the tolerance of the resistors.

nand_1 said:
Hello all.

I was just wondering if it is possible to use an inverting opamp configuration with feedback to regulate an output voltage V0 without the use of BJT's?

For example, the following sketch:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2389/opamp.png

V0 = Vs * (R1-R2) /2R1
Mathematically, V0 seems to be independent of load resistance Rl (not shown in diagram) so in effect V0 is regulated (provided we are within the limits of op amp).
This circuit in the URL is not a real regulator but a voltage divider with a low output impedance. The circuit depends on the stability of the 10 volt battery to provide 1 volt output. A real regulator has a voltage reference independent of the input voltage.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great explanations, i really appreciate it. It all made sense.

A few questions,

What is your voltage source? Is it a regulated power supply or a battery? If it's a battery, what type?

What is the purpose of R8 833K?

What is the purpose of R10 0.1k?

What is your load?

1. What is a single op amp voltage regulator?

A single op amp voltage regulator is a type of electrical circuit that uses an operational amplifier (op amp) to regulate the output voltage to a desired level. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable and reliable power supply.

2. How does a single op amp voltage regulator work?

The op amp compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and adjusts the input voltage accordingly. This feedback loop ensures that the output voltage remains constant, even if there are fluctuations in the input voltage or load. The op amp acts as a high-gain amplifier and the other components in the circuit provide the necessary feedback and regulation.

3. What are the advantages of using a single op amp voltage regulator?

One of the main advantages is its simplicity - it only requires a few components and can be easily integrated into a circuit. It also provides a stable and accurate output voltage, even under varying conditions. Additionally, it has a fast response time, making it suitable for applications that require quick changes in output voltage.

4. What are the limitations of a single op amp voltage regulator?

One limitation is its low output current capability, which may not be suitable for high-power applications. It also has a limited input voltage range, so it may not be suitable for regulating high voltage inputs. Additionally, it may introduce noise and distortion in the output voltage, affecting the performance of sensitive electronic components.

5. What are some common applications of a single op amp voltage regulator?

A single op amp voltage regulator is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, audio equipment, and power supplies. It can also be used in precision measuring instruments, battery chargers, and voltage stabilizers. It is also used in automotive systems, such as in the voltage regulation of car batteries.