Unsure of what this componenet is.

• Thread starter somekid413
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is working on a project that requires a connection to be closed when a flat surface is grasped. They found plans for a component that would work, but are looking for a commercially available option to save time. The component is a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between two layers of aluminum that creates a connection when squeezed. It is being used for an electronic drum set and needs to be slim and not as precise as a pedal switch. The individual ended up building the component according to the schematic and it seems to work well. They are still surprised that they could not find a commercially available option. They clarify that they are referring to choking a cymbal on acoustic drums, not the pedal to clamp down on two hi
somekid413
I am working on a project and need to close a connection when a flat surface is grasped. I found the plans attached, and that seems like a good idea. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find something like that already built and order it to save time.

What it is is a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum, when its squeezed, a connection is made. I need several of these and it would be easier to just buy them.

Attachments

• eCymbal_switch.jpg
    eCymbal_switch.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 414
Engineering news on Phys.org
somekid413 said:
I am working on a project and need to close a connection when a flat surface is grasped. I found the plans attached, and that seems like a good idea. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find something like that already built and order it to save time.

What it is is a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum, when its squeezed, a connection is made. I need several of these and it would be easier to just buy them.

Welcome to the PF. Have you priced out that component at the manufacturer?

http://www.hellfiredrums.com/

Or are you wanting to find somebody who makes things like that in different geometries to better fit your object? I'm guessing that the one you show takes a lot of force to close -- it's meant to be hit with a drumstick?

Have you looked at capacitive touch sensing as an alternative?

EDIT -- what is the object being grasped in your application?

sorry about the poor description, this is not struck, it is glued to the underside of an electronic cymbal and when a person squeezes it, it creates contact between the 2 metal sheets which shorts the circuit and causes the computer to receive a choke signal that stops the sound of the cymbal.

this is all for an electronic drum set.

It would just be easier for me to buy it than build, so I was curious if anyone had seen anything like this commercially available.

somekid413 said:
sorry about the poor description, this is not struck, it is glued to the underside of an electronic cymbal and when a person squeezes it, it creates contact between the 2 metal sheets which shorts the circuit and causes the computer to receive a choke signal that stops the sound of the cymbal.

this is all for an electronic drum set.

It would just be easier for me to buy it than build, so I was curious if anyone had seen anything like this commercially available.

Ah. Isn't it commercially available from the manufacturer's website that I linked. I just found them with a google search and didn't bother to actually read anything there though.

that's the website I got the plans from, they don't sell it, I don't think Ill find something for this exact purpose but anything that you squeeze to activate a switch would work.

somekid413 said:
that's the website I got the plans from, they don't sell it, I don't think Ill find something for this exact purpose but anything that you squeeze to activate a switch would work.

You can just use a limit switch, I would think. http://media.digikey.com/photos/Cherry Switch Photos/CHERRY SWITCH- D44L-R1RA.jpg

Is it just a pedal to look like the cymbal choke? Can't you just use a pedal switch?

well, It has to have a very slim profile and not as precise as the pedal switch in terms of pressing location.I ended up just building it according to that schematic... it took about 2 hours because I had to try twice but it seems to work really well.. I'm unsure of how long it will last so we'll have to see.

Im still surprised that I can't find something commercially available.

also, I think either I'm using the wrong terminology or were talking about different chokes here. I don't mean the pedal to clamp down the 2 hi-hats, I mean on acoustic drums to "choke" a cymbal is to grab it by its side with your hand to stop the vibration. because Electronic drums only react to the initial electronic signal of the piezo, they have a built in feature that if you short a circuit, it will cut the sound.

What is this component?

This is a common question for scientists when encountering an unfamiliar component. It could refer to a physical object or a chemical compound. In order to properly identify the component, it is important to conduct research and gather information about its properties, structure, and potential uses.

How can I determine the function of this component?

The function of a component can be determined through various experiments and tests. Scientists may use techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, or microscopy to analyze the properties and behavior of the component. They may also consult existing research and literature to gain insight into its potential function.

What are the potential uses of this component?

Scientists are often interested in the potential uses of a component, as it could have practical applications in various industries or fields of study. To determine the potential uses, scientists may conduct experiments to test its properties and see how it reacts under different conditions. They may also consult with experts or conduct further research to explore potential applications.

Is this component safe for human use?

Safety is a top concern for scientists when encountering an unknown component. In order to determine if it is safe for human use, scientists may conduct toxicology studies or perform risk assessments to evaluate any potential hazards. They may also consult with regulatory agencies or refer to existing safety guidelines and regulations.

How does this component fit into the larger context of my research?

Scientists may also wonder how this new component fits into their overall research goals and objectives. In order to answer this question, they may review their research plan and determine if the component is relevant to their current or future studies. They may also consult with colleagues or experts in the field to gain a better understanding of its potential significance.