Probability - Couples seated round a table

In summary, the probability of 10 couples being seated around a table, where each person is sitting next to their significant other, can be calculated by the equation P\left(\bigcup^{10}_{1}E_{i}\right), where the probability of any intersection of E_{i} is equal to \frac{2^{n}(19-n)!}{19!}. This equation takes into account the fact that each couple is considered a single entity and that there are a total of 19 people around the table. There may be confusion about why n is subtracted from 19 instead of 10, but this is because when n = 1, there are now 18 other people that can be arranged in any way,
IniquiTrance
[SOLVED] Probability - Couples seated round a table

As per my textbook: (Ross, 8th ed.), the probability of 10 couples being seated around a table, where every guy's with his girl, or guy, is:

[tex]P\left(\bigcup^{10}_{1}E_{i}\right)[/tex]

Where any:

[tex]P(E_{i_{1}}, E_{i_{2}}, E_{i_{3}}, E_{i_{4}}...E_{i_{n}}) = \frac{2^{n}(19 - n)!}{19!}[/tex]

The book explains that it considers each of the 10 couples a single entity, and therefore calculates all possible outcomes of placing these entities around the table.

Yet why is it that for all the [tex]E_{i}[/tex] intersections in the above equation, n is subtracted from 19, instead of 10?? When n = 1, there are now 18 other people that can be arranged in whatever way, which makes sense to me.

But when n = 2, we're permuting 17 others, when 2 couples, 4 people, have been removed from the table?? Shouldn't it be 16 for n = 2, 14 for n= 3... ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the probability that a married couple will be seated next to each other at a round table?

The probability of a married couple being seated next to each other at a round table depends on the total number of people at the table. If there are n couples, the probability is 2/n.

2. How do you calculate the total number of seating arrangements for a round table with couples?

The total number of seating arrangements for a round table with couples can be calculated using the formula n!/(2^(n/2)*(n/2)!), where n is the total number of couples.

3. What is the probability that two specific couples will be seated next to each other at a round table?

The probability of two specific couples being seated next to each other at a round table depends on the total number of people at the table and the position of the couples. The formula for calculating this probability is 2/(n-1), where n is the total number of couples.

4. Can the number of couples at a round table affect the probability of a specific couple being seated next to each other?

Yes, the probability of a specific couple being seated next to each other at a round table can be affected by the number of couples at the table. As the number of couples increases, the probability decreases.

5. How does the seating arrangement of couples at a round table affect the overall probability?

The seating arrangement of couples at a round table does not have a significant impact on the overall probability. As long as the total number of couples and the number of people at the table remain the same, the probability will remain constant.