Lactate doesn't produce acidosis?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between lactate and acidosis, and the breakdown of ATP during vigorous exercise. The article referenced explains that during ATP hydrolysis, a proton is released, and the activities of different forms of phosphate can be altered by the pH of the reaction medium. The conversation also mentions a further explanation of the molecular formula for phosphate.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

I always thought it did but it seems that it is actually a consequence of acidosis. According to this article http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article...r/lactate.html

However I don't understand this bit in the article

During vigorous exercise, the ATP (high-energy compound from which the cells derive energy) demands of muscle contraction are considerable. Every time an ATP molecule is split for energy it is broken down into an ADP and inorganic phosphate molecule, with the release of one hydrogen ion (another name for a hydrogen ion is a proton).

ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

I don't see a proton been released in this reaction, also what happened to the H20 in this reaction, shouldn't this reaction be written as

ATP + H2O --> ADP0H + PH + energy

Is the proton of PH released?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
No, the proton of ADP0H is released.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
No, the proton of ADP0H is released.

Thanks for the response :smile: I had a bit of a mental blank in this question. The equation like this is right ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

If you look at the molecular formula phosphate gets the OH.

Also found the answer for the next bit

# The inorganic phosphate and the phosphate groups on ATP and ADP are weakly acidic, and have pK values in the physiological range. The activities of the different forms will vary depending on the pH of the reaction medium, and this will alter the value for DGo.

* HATP3- <==> ATP4- + H +; pK1' = 6.95
* HADP2- <==> ADP3- + H +; pK2' = 6.88
* H2PO4- <==> HPO42- + H +; pK3' = 7.20

(The effect of these pK values is that a H+ is released on ATP hydrolysis, with a stoichiometry which approaches 1 above pK3'. This proton release can be used to assay the reactions of ATP hydrolysis or synthesis, or follow the kinetics if a recoding pH meter is available.)

But I still like to hear other's opinion on the article. Thanks!

Last edited:
lone pair electron from H20 attacks the beta (second) phosphate group of ATP and phospho di-ester bond between beta and gama phosphate is broken.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. I can confirm that lactate does indeed contribute to acidosis, but it is not the direct cause. Acidosis is a condition where the body's pH level becomes too acidic, and it can be caused by a variety of factors, including excessive production of lactic acid.

In the article you mentioned, it is explained that during exercise, the breakdown of ATP releases hydrogen ions (protons) as a byproduct. This is because ATP is converted into ADP and inorganic phosphate, as you correctly stated. However, the article is simplifying the process for easier understanding. In reality, the hydrogen ions released from ATP are quickly buffered by other molecules in the body, such as bicarbonate, to maintain a stable pH level.

Additionally, the reaction shown in the article is a general representation of ATP breakdown and does not include all the molecules involved. The release of a proton (H+) is actually a step in a larger series of reactions that ultimately produce lactate. This lactate then contributes to acidosis by interfering with the body's normal acid-base balance.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion and further your understanding of this topic. It is always important to critically evaluate information and ask questions, so I commend you for doing so. Keep up the curiosity and scientific thinking!

Best regards,

1. What is lactate and how does it affect acidosis?

Lactate is a byproduct of the body's metabolism, particularly during intense exercise or when there is a lack of oxygen in the body. It does not directly cause acidosis, but rather it is converted into lactic acid, which can contribute to acidosis if there is an excessive amount.

2. How does the body regulate lactate levels to prevent acidosis?

The body has various mechanisms to regulate lactate levels, such as the breakdown of lactate by the liver and the conversion of lactate into glucose by the muscles. Additionally, the body can also increase blood flow and oxygen delivery to tissues to prevent the buildup of lactate.

3. Can lactate levels be used to diagnose acidosis?

No, lactate levels alone cannot be used to diagnose acidosis. Other factors such as blood pH, bicarbonate levels, and anion gap must also be considered. Lactate levels can be a useful indicator of acidosis, but they must be interpreted in conjunction with other tests.

4. Is lactate always bad for the body?

No, lactate is a necessary component of the body's energy production and can be beneficial during times of increased physical activity. However, if there is an excessive amount of lactate, it can contribute to acidosis and other health issues.

5. Can lactate be used as a treatment for acidosis?

In some cases, lactate can be administered as a treatment for acidosis. This is because lactate can help restore the body's pH balance and can be converted into energy by the body's cells. However, it is important to note that lactate can also contribute to acidosis if there is an excessive amount present.