What Is the Minimum Pipe Diameter for Oil Transport in Horizontal Flow?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the minimum pipe diameter for transporting oil over a distance L at a volume flow rate of Q and with a pump power of W, we can use the Colebrook equation to calculate the pressure drop and rearrange it to solve for D. However, the specific velocity requirements for the application must also be taken into consideration.
ld080

Homework Statement

Oil must be transported over a distance L through a horizontal pipe at volume flow rate of Q, using a pump with power W. Find the minimum pipe diameter, D, which guarantees the exit pressure of Pe.Common values:

sigma=(pipe roughness) = 0.05 mm
pi=(pressure at the inlet of the pump) = 10 kPa gauge,
rho=(kinematic viscosity) = 4 X 10-6 m2/s
gamma=(specific weight) = 7 kN/m3
L =
Q =
W =
Pe

Homework Equations

Colebrook Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

W=will dictate what pump outlet pressure you can have for specified Q. L will dictate how developed the flow will be among other things, and the Overall D along with Q and viscosity will dictate the Re Number. You are able to adjust D, so for a specified Q would could have a Laminar, transient , or turbulent flow. I am assuming that since he what's us to use friction factor calculations for turbulent flow you will have to choose a Q and D that result in a Turbulent flow not laminar.

I've got an idea of where to go with this, but I am a bit stuck at the moment. Thank you for any help I may get..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist with expertise in fluid mechanics and I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

To find the minimum pipe diameter, D, we can use the Colebrook equation, which relates the friction factor, pipe roughness, Reynolds number, and other variables to calculate the pressure drop in a pipe. We can rearrange this equation to solve for D as follows:

D = 4 * Q * sqrt(f) / (pi * rho * L * sqrt(2 * g * Pe))

Where:

Q = volume flow rate
f = friction factor
pi = pressure at the inlet of the pump
rho = kinematic viscosity
L = distance of pipe
g = acceleration due to gravity
Pe = exit pressure

To solve for the friction factor, we can use the Moody chart or the Swamee-Jain equation. Once we have the friction factor, we can plug it into the equation above to solve for the minimum pipe diameter.

However, it is important to note that the minimum pipe diameter will also depend on the required velocity of the oil flow, which is determined by the specific application. So, it is important to consider the velocity requirements in addition to the pressure drop calculations.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is pipe flow?

Pipe flow is a type of fluid flow in which a liquid or gas moves through a pipe or conduit. It is commonly used in various industrial and domestic applications for transportation of liquids and gases.

2. How is pipe flow different from open channel flow?

Pipe flow is a closed system, where the fluid is confined within a pipe, while open channel flow occurs in an open system, such as a river or canal. This means that pipe flow is affected by the size and shape of the pipe, while open channel flow is affected by the shape and roughness of the channel bed.

3. What factors affect pipe flow?

There are several factors that can affect pipe flow, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the fluid velocity, the fluid viscosity, and the roughness of the pipe walls. These factors can impact the pressure, velocity, and flow rate of the fluid within the pipe.

4. How is pressure drop calculated in pipe flow?

The pressure drop in pipe flow can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe length, diameter, and roughness, as well as the fluid velocity and viscosity. Other methods, such as the Hazen-Williams equation, can also be used to calculate pressure drop.

5. What are some common applications of pipe flow?

Pipe flow is used in a wide range of applications, including plumbing systems, oil and gas pipelines, water distribution systems, and chemical processing plants. It is also used in hydraulic systems, such as in turbines and pumps, to transport fluids and generate power.