Serway's College Physics vs. Halliday, Resnick, Krane's Physics?

In summary: QM. If it was just a choice between those 3, I'd choose Serways.In summary, "Physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Krane is the greatest physics book at the basic introductory level. "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, Serway, and Jewett is also comparable.
Bassir
Which of the following books is the greatest physics book at the basic introductory level?

College Physics, 7th edition
Serway

Physics Vol I and Vol II, 4th edition
Halliday, Resnick, Krane

Physics, 5th edition
Giancoli

Physics news on Phys.org
Well to be honest they're both pretty much at the same level and cover the same topics so I think it's probably a matter of which one is cheaper.

Serway/Vuille's "College Physics" and Giancoli's "Physics: Principles and Applications" use only algebra and trigonometry. Halliday/Resnick/Krane use calculus. So the first two are not comparable to the last one.

For a comparison of "apples to apples" you need to compare

Halliday/Resnick/Krane, "Physics" (or Halliday/Resnick/Walker, "Fundamentals of Physics")
Giancoli, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers"
Serway/Jewett, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers"
These three all use calculus.

In the second group, Halliday/Resnick/Krane, Giancoli "Physics for Scientists and Engineers", and Serway/Jewett are comparable in coverage. I think which one is "best" is basically a matter of personal preference.

Likewise in the first group, Serway/Vuille and Giancoli "Physics: Principles and Applications" are comparable non-calculus books.

Oh oops, I didn't realize those were the algebra only variants. Like jtbell said, both Giancoli and Serway/Jewett have calculus based books that are comparable to Halliday/Resnick.

If, for whatever reason you want an algebra based book, I can recommend Alan Giambattista's book.

Is it smarter to use a Calculus-based book in one's study of Physics?

Lets not forget Young and Freedman.

Personally, I am not a big fan of plain ol "Physics" by Halliday Resnick and Krane. Its only been revised like 3 times in the last 40 years. My old community college prof said that's a good thing, it means they got it right the first time.

Personally, I think the book is extremely dry. It does get to the point real quick, without wasting too much of your time with colorful pictures and interesting historical quips. But I personally like pictures, color and interesting stories to go in between all the physics. So I'll take it when I can get it and if I have a choice.

Halliday and Resnick do put out "Fundamentals of Physics for Sci and Eng" which is revised regularly and is a lot more interesting to read. Its still calculus based, it still covers everything that "Physics" does and it contains a lot of the same problems that "Physics" does. SO you don't loose anything by going with "Fundamentals"

Serway and Jewett and Young and Freedman (my personal fav) are comparable. I have all 4 (Serway, Young, and both Halliday and Resnicks) and they are pretty much comparable. If your not using this for a class, then Id say get an edition that's 1 or 2 editions old for next to nothing.

Bassir said:
Is it smarter to use a Calculus-based book in one's study of Physics?

Im sure it just depends on what you want to use the physics for. If your just trying to learn more about the subject in general, you know at a conversational level, you're prob better off getting a conceptual physics book.

I do think its good "training" to start off with a algebra/trig based book. While a lot of the formulas and such in mechanics are derived using calculus in calc based books, you usually only use the results of those derivations. Most probs in mechanics in calc based books are solved using regular ol algebra and trig.

Granted, calc is used a lot more in lower div E&M (Faradays, AMperes, Gauss's...etc) and QM (Shrodinger Equation, statistical mechanics), but it hurts you none to go over mechanics, e&m and QM using algebra and trig to learn how to solve problems. Let's face it, the hardest to learn when we first take physics is how to properly setup a problem using your physical intuition. So best to get your training started without worrying about the calc. Thats just my opinion.

What's a good conceptual-based book, then?

Paul G Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" I've looked at before and its pretty good. Its exactly what the title says...conceptual. Not much math (basic math), and just a lot of good basic info.

For something more serious, the Serway "college physics" that you mentioned before is really good for a Algebra/Trig level book.

If College Physics is a great Algebra level book, what is matches its greatness at the Calculus level?

Serways Calc level book, young and freedmans "University Physics" calc level book, Halliday and Resnicks "Fundamentals" (and I am sure a lot of peeps would say "Physics" as well).

Like other people said, the major calc-based physics books are all pretty equal. I personally love how YnF's treat mechanics and modern physics and I really like the way serway cover E/M

1. What is the main difference between Serway's College Physics and Halliday, Resnick, Krane's Physics?

Serway's College Physics is a more introductory level textbook that focuses on fundamental concepts and applications, while Halliday, Resnick, Krane's Physics is a more comprehensive and advanced textbook that delves into theoretical concepts and mathematical derivations.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners in physics?

Serway's College Physics is generally considered to be more suitable for beginners due to its simplified explanations and focus on practical applications. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and needs.

3. Is one textbook more accurate than the other?

Both textbooks are highly respected and reputable sources in the field of physics, and both are generally considered to be accurate. However, there may be slight differences in the way certain concepts are presented.

4. Which textbook has more practice problems and exercises?

Halliday, Resnick, Krane's Physics is known for its large number of practice problems and exercises, making it a preferred choice for students looking for more practice and reinforcement of concepts.

5. Can I use both textbooks as a supplement to each other?

Yes, many students and instructors use multiple textbooks as resources for studying and teaching. Both Serway's College Physics and Halliday, Resnick, Krane's Physics offer unique perspectives and approaches to learning physics, so using them together can provide a well-rounded understanding of the subject.