Local min/max/saddle points of 3d graphs

In summary, the conversation was about finding local min/max and saddle points for a given function and the confusion about the sharp crevices in the graph. The answer was that the function is infinitely differentiable for all x and y.
karadda
Hello, just got done taking a test and one problem kinda confused me.

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = e^x cos y

find local min/max and saddle points

Homework Equations

fx = e^x cos y
fy = -e^x sin y

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered that there were no critical points for this function and therefore no extrema. I looked at a graph of this here. To me, those sharp crevices indicate the function is not differentiable at those points. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. [itex]e^x cos(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^x sin(x)[/itex] (and, in fact, are infinitely differentiable) for all x and y. Those peaks look like "sharp crevices" only because your scale is too large.

1. What is a local minimum point on a 3d graph?

A local minimum point on a 3d graph is a point where the function has the lowest value in a small neighborhood surrounding the point. This means that there are no other points within the immediate vicinity that have a lower value.

2. How can I identify a local maximum point on a 3d graph?

A local maximum point on a 3d graph is a point where the function has the highest value in a small neighborhood surrounding the point. This means that there are no other points within the immediate vicinity that have a higher value.

3. What is a saddle point on a 3d graph?

A saddle point on a 3d graph is a point where the function has both a positive and negative slope in different directions. This results in a saddle-like shape on the graph, where the function is neither increasing nor decreasing.

4. How do I find the coordinates of a local min/max/saddle point on a 3d graph?

To find the coordinates of a local min/max/saddle point on a 3d graph, you can use the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function, where the first derivative is equal to 0. The second derivative test can then be used to determine whether the critical point is a min, max, or saddle point.

5. Can a 3d graph have multiple local min/max/saddle points?

Yes, a 3d graph can have multiple local min/max/saddle points. This is because the function can have different values in different regions of the graph, resulting in multiple points with the same characteristics (e.g. multiple local minima). It is important to consider the context of the problem to determine which point is most relevant.