3 Phase Machine Line Current problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 415V, 50Hz, 3-phase supply connected to a 3 phase load of 10kW with a power factor of 0.8 lagging. The attempted solution using certain equations resulted in the wrong answer, but a correct solution is provided using the per phase voltage and line-to-line voltage. It is also noted that cos(PF) is not a meaningful term.
AdamBG10
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some help with this problem(probably quite easy for anybody with Electrical Engineering experience).

Thanks in advance

Homework Statement

A 415V, 50Hz, 3-phase supply is connected to a 3 phase load of 10kw with a power factor of 0.8 lagging. Find the magnitude of the line currents.

Homework Equations

P = VICos(power factor)

Total Power = 3 V(p)I(p)cos(power factor)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted the question using the equations above, except I obtained the wrong answer.

Correct answer = 17.39Amps

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the 415V is line to line rms and that the 10kW is the total wattage for all three phases:

[tex]V_{\phi}=\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
with [tex]V_{\phi}[/tex] being a per phase voltage and [tex]V_{LL}[/tex] being the line-to-line voltage.

Next, we know that:
[tex]P_{3\phi} = 3V_{\phi}I_{\phi}PF[/tex]
with PF = powerfactor. And if this is star connected...
[tex]I_{\phi}=I_{LL}[/tex]

so
[tex]P_{3\phi}=3\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}I_{LL}PF=\sqrt{3}V_{LL}I_{LL}PF[/tex]
or
[tex]I_{LL}=\frac{P_{3\phi}}{V_{LL}\sqrt{3}PF}[/tex]

You seem to be confusing something. cos(angle) = PF. You don't say cos(PF). As far as I know, cos(PF) means nothing of importance.

xcvxcvvc said:
Assuming the 415V is line to line rms and that the 10kW is the total wattage for all three phases:

[tex]V_{\phi}=\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
with [tex]V_{\phi}[/tex] being a per phase voltage and [tex]V_{LL}[/tex] being the line-to-line voltage.

Next, we know that:
[tex]P_{3\phi} = 3V_{\phi}I_{\phi}PF[/tex]
with PF = powerfactor. And if this is star connected...
[tex]I_{\phi}=I_{LL}[/tex]

so
[tex]P_{3\phi}=3\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}I_{LL}PF=\sqrt{3}V_{LL}I_{LL}PF[/tex]
or
[tex]I_{LL}=\frac{P_{3\phi}}{V_{LL}\sqrt{3}PF}[/tex]

You seem to be confusing something. cos(angle) = PF. You don't say cos(PF). As far as I know, cos(PF) means nothing of importance.

Thanks very much!

1. What is a 3 phase machine line current problem?

A 3 phase machine line current problem refers to an issue in the flow of electrical current in a 3 phase electrical system. This can be caused by various factors such as unbalanced loads, faulty wiring, or damaged equipment.

2. How do you identify a 3 phase machine line current problem?

A 3 phase machine line current problem can be identified by measuring the current in each phase using a clamp meter. If the currents are not equal in all three phases, then there is likely an issue with the line current.

3. What are the consequences of a 3 phase machine line current problem?

A 3 phase machine line current problem can cause various issues such as overheating of equipment, voltage fluctuations, and power loss. It can also lead to equipment failure and production downtime.

4. How can a 3 phase machine line current problem be fixed?

The solution to a 3 phase machine line current problem depends on the cause. It could involve rebalancing the loads, replacing faulty wiring, or repairing damaged equipment. It is best to consult a professional electrician for proper diagnosis and repair.

5. How can a 3 phase machine line current problem be prevented?

To prevent a 3 phase machine line current problem, regular maintenance and inspection of the electrical system is crucial. This includes checking for loose connections, ensuring balanced loads, and replacing worn-out equipment. It is also important to follow proper electrical safety protocols to avoid accidents that can lead to line current issues.