What is the equilibrium angle of a rod in a hemispherical bowl?

• Thread starter roltzje
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, a rod of uniform length is placed into a hemispherical bowl with no friction at either point of contact. The objective is to find the angle between the rod and the horizontal when it reaches equilibrium. The equation for sum of forces is used but the attempt at a solution is hindered by lack of understanding of hemispherical bowls and the angle of the normals with respect to the rod.
roltzje

Homework Statement

A hemispherical bowl is fixed with its rim in a horizontal plane. Into the bowl is laid a rod of length equal to the diameter of the bowl. The rod is uniform. There is no friction at either point of contact. Find the angle between the rod and the horizontal when the rod assumes its equilibrium position.

(The diagram shows a bowl from the side cutaway view with the rod partway into the bowl, with one end resting inside, and another part resting on the rim)

Homework Equations

Sum of forces

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted taking normals but my professor did not teach us about hemispherical bowls. I have no idea what angle the normals are at with respect to the rod. I also have no idea how to figure out how deep the rod has gone into the bowl.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only equation I can think of is F=ma, but there is no acceleration or external force. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the "Rod in a hemispherical bowl" experiment?

The "Rod in a hemispherical bowl" experiment is a classic physics experiment that involves a rod placed inside a bowl shaped like a hemisphere. The rod is free to rotate around its axis, and the bowl is free to rotate around a vertical axis.

What is the purpose of the "Rod in a hemispherical bowl" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate rotational motion and its associated concepts, such as angular velocity, moment of inertia, and conservation of angular momentum.

What factors affect the motion of the rod and bowl in this experiment?

The motion of the rod and bowl in this experiment is affected by the mass and length of the rod, the mass and radius of the bowl, and the initial conditions such as the height and angle of the rod inside the bowl.

What is the equation for calculating the moment of inertia in this experiment?

The moment of inertia for the rod in a hemispherical bowl experiment can be calculated using the equation I = (1/3)mL2, where m is the mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod.

What is the significance of this experiment in the field of physics?

The "Rod in a hemispherical bowl" experiment is an important demonstration of rotational motion and its principles, which have applications in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in a gravitational field and the conservation of angular momentum.