What is the impulse and force exerted on a soccer ball when kicked?

In summary: They are N·s or kg·m/s.Thank u! I got it all CORRECTLY ;)That's great to hear! Good job! :smile:In summary, a soccer player kicks a 0.44 kg ball at rest with a force of -3.75*10^8 t ^2 + 3*10^6 t for 0.008 s, resulting in an impulse of 32 N*s and an average force of 4000 N. The magnitude of the ball's velocity immediately after losing contact with the player's foot is not given.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a ball of mass 0.44 kg that is initially at rest. The player's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.008 s. The force of the kick is shown in the Figure.

a) What is the impulse imparted on the ball?

b) What is the average force exerted by the player's foot on the ball during the period of contact?

c) What is the magnitude of the ball's velocity immediately after it loses contact with the player's foot?

1-5.gif

Homework Equations

P = mv

I = E(ext) * Delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I took 2 point then use I = F * Delta t. After that I substract them and it's INCORRECT! Any guide?

Physics news on Phys.org
huybinhs said:
a) I took 2 point then use I = F * Delta t. After that I substract them and it's INCORRECT! Any guide?
The impulse is the area under the curve. I = ∫F dt.

Is this a calculus based class?

And if so does the problem give you an equation for F as a function of t? If no equation is given, you can figure one out yourself. The curve looks like a parabola to me. Find the values of a, b, and c, such that
F = at2 + bt +c
matches the given curve. (plug in 3 different points for F and t, giving you three equations and 3 unknowns [the unknowns are a, b and c]). Once you have that you can integrate.

No, there is not equation given. But could u help me figure out a, b, and c? I have no ideas how to find them ?

huybinhs said:
No, there is not equation given. But could u help me figure out a, b, and c? I have no ideas how to find them ?
Try to plug in some F and t points into the
F = At2 + Bt + C
equation (here A, B, and C are just constants. You don't have to call them A, B, and C. You could call them anything you want for now. Eventually they will become numbers).
To make things easy, I suggest using the points [F,t] = [0,0], [6000 N, 4 sec], [0, 8 sec]

I'll do the first one for you.
0 = (A)(0)2 + (B)(0) + C
You should have a good idea what C is now.

Plug the other two points in and solve for A and B.

Yes, I pluged in and I got A = -3.75 * 10^8 and B = 3 * 10^ 6

Plz note time on the graph is in ms!

After this I got equation:

F = -3.75*10^8 t ^2 + 3*10^6 t

then, what's next?

huybinhs said:
Yes, I pluged in and I got A = -3.75 * 10^8 and B = 3 * 10^ 6

Plz note time on the graph is in ms!

After this I got equation:

F = -3.75*10^8 t ^2 + 3*10^6 t
Very nice! (and good catch about the ms vs. s) :approve:
then, what's next?
Now find the area under the curve! (Hint: you need to integrate the force from t = 0 to t = 8 ms.) That's the impulse.

Great! I got part a CORRECTLY.

Please continue help me out part b ;)

huybinhs said:
Great! I got part a CORRECTLY.
Great! :smile:
Please continue help me out part b ;)
You're going to have to show some work.

But I'll give you a hint that part b) is really simple (i.e. very simple calculation). Hypothetically speaking, if the force was constant over the same time interval (instead of being parabola shaped), what constant force over the same time interval would produce the same impulse? That's the average force.

Is it 32 / 000.8 = 4000 N ?

Note: 32 N*m = impulse : is the correct answer for part a

Thank u! I got it all CORRECTLY ;)

huybinhs said:
Is it 32 / 000.8 = 4000 N ?
There you go. :approve:
Note: 32 N*m = impulse : is the correct answer for part a
Be careful of the units. The units of impulse are not N·m.

1. What is impulse on a soccer ball?

Impulse on a soccer ball is the change in momentum of the ball when it is struck or kicked by a player. It is a measure of the force that is applied to the ball and the duration of that force.

2. How is impulse related to force and time?

Impulse is directly proportional to the force applied to the ball and the time that the force is applied. This means that the greater the force and the longer the duration of the force, the greater the impulse on the ball will be.

3. How does the direction of the force affect impulse on a soccer ball?

The direction of the force can affect the direction of the impulse on a soccer ball. When the force is applied perpendicular to the ball's surface, the impulse will be in the same direction as the force. However, when the force is applied at an angle, the impulse will have both a horizontal and vertical component, causing the ball to move in a curved path.

4. How does the mass of the ball impact the impulse?

The mass of the ball does not directly impact the impulse. However, a heavier ball may require more force and a longer duration of force to produce the same amount of impulse as a lighter ball. This is because the mass of the ball affects its inertia, or resistance to change in motion.

5. Why is understanding impulse important in soccer?

Understanding impulse in soccer can help players improve their technique and power when striking or kicking the ball. It can also help coaches design training programs and analyze game strategies to optimize the force and time of ball contact for more successful shots and passes.