How Does a Cylindrical Pulley System Exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    advanced
In summary, a uniform cylindrical pulley with a mass of M and radius of R can freely rotate about a horizontal axis. The free end of a thread tightly wound on the pulley carries a dead weight A that is counterbalanced by a point mass m fixed at the rim of the pulley at a certain angle α. The problem is to find the angular frequency of small oscillations of this arrangement. Through calculations, it is determined that the answer is ω² = 2mgcosα/[MR + 2mR(1+sinα)], which is not proportional to θ and therefore not a simple harmonic motion. The total energy of the system was calculated and it was found that there was a sign error in one of
zorro

Homework Statement

A uniform cylindrical pulley of mass M and radius R can freely rotate about the horizontal axis O. The free end of a thread tightly wound on the pulley carries a dead weight A. At a certain angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] it counter balances a point mass m fixed at the rim of the pulley. Find the angular frequency of small oscillations of the arrangement (refer figure).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the mass of the dead weight be m1
Considering rotational equilibrium about O, we have
m1gR = mgRsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]
i.e. m1 = msin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Let the pulley be displaced through a small angle [tex]\theta[/tex] in the clockwise direction.

The Total Energy of the system after rotation through the small angle is-
E = mgRcos([tex]\alpha + \theta[/tex]) - m1gR([tex]\alpha+\theta[/tex]) + Iω²/2 + m1ω²R²/2

As the system is conservative, the time derivative of energy is 0
dE/dt = 0

on solving the above equation,
I got dω/dt = mgRsin[tex]\alpha[/tex] + m1gR/(I + m1R2)

Now m1 = msin[tex]\alpha[/tex] and I = MR²/2 + mR² ( I did not include m1R² as I already took its kinetic energy as m1ω²R²/2)

on solving further,

d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt = 2mgsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[(1+sin[tex]\alpha[/tex])mR +MR/2]

which is not proportional to [tex]\theta[/tex]!
and hence not a S.H.M.

The answer given is ω² = 2mgcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[MR + 2mR(1+sinα)]

Please help!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a figure will help

I attached it now.

Did it help?

Abdul Quadeer said:
E = mgRcos([tex]\alpha + \theta[/tex]) - m1gR([tex]\alpha+\theta[/tex]) + Iω²/2 + m1ω²R²/2
Five comments:
  1. Check your signs. You have a sign error here.
  2. The mass A is undergoing pure translational motion. The cylinder is undergoing pure rotational motion. Combining these two to form one value, Iω²/2, is not a good idea.
  3. You have made a notational error here that will hurt you later. You are obviously using ω=dθ/dt here. That's fine, but later on you are using ω to denote the harmonic oscillator frequency. That frequency is not equal to dθ/dt.
  4. Purely stylistic comment: Don't mix latex math with HTML math. The results are strikingly ugly and hard to read. Stick with one or the other.
  5. Here's an HTML alpha: α

As the system is conservative, the time derivative of energy is 0
dE/dt = 0

on solving the above equation,
I got dω/dt = mgRsin[tex]\alpha[/tex] + m1gR/(I + m1R2)
This does not follow from your earlier result. Hint: What happened to θ?

D H said:
Check your signs. You have a sign error here.

Thanks Sir! I got my answer.

Purely stylistic comment: Don't mix latex math with HTML math. The results are strikingly ugly and hard to read. Stick with one or the other.

I am new to Latex, sorry for inconvenience.
Thanks for your advise.

What is advanced S.H.M. problem?

Advanced S.H.M. problem refers to advanced problems related to Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

What are some examples of advanced S.H.M. problems?

Examples of advanced S.H.M. problems include calculating the period and frequency of a mass on a spring, determining the amplitude and phase angle of a pendulum, and finding the maximum velocity of an object undergoing S.H.M.

How can advanced S.H.M. problems be solved?

Advanced S.H.M. problems can be solved using mathematical equations such as the harmonic motion equation and the energy conservation principle. It is also important to have a solid understanding of concepts such as amplitude, frequency, and phase angle.

What are the key principles behind advanced S.H.M. problems?

The key principles behind advanced S.H.M. problems include the concept of uniform circular motion, Hooke's Law, and the conservation of energy. These principles help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of objects undergoing S.H.M.

Why is studying advanced S.H.M. problems important in science?

Studying advanced S.H.M. problems is important in science because it helps in understanding the fundamental principles of oscillatory motion, which is a common phenomenon in many natural systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.