REUs: Seeking Advice on Letters of Rec & Personal Statements

• Thread starter carboy79
  • Start date
In summary: No one is going to reject your application because you sent an extra paragraph stating your interest or unique circumstances.That said, don't go overboard:It's good to point out if you have a unique educational background or personal history.Focus it on why you want to go to that REU; Mention specific professors or projects you'd like to work on if possible.Don't waste time talking about how awesome their department is or talking about high school sports, high school science clubs or honor societies, or other irrelevant stuff.
carboy79
So firstly, I am at my first semester at my new university (although I am not a freshman), and the only faculty member I have had any relationship with is my TA for my lab I took this semester. The REU's I'm applying to require a letter of rec, so my question is should I attempt to get a letter from a professor that I've talked to maybe 3 times, or would it be better to get this graduate student to write a letter for me, but it would speak very positively about my lab skills??

My second issue is that one REU I am applying to doesn't ask you to send any personal statement or anything like that, but I really want to include a little paragraph describing my situation because I think it would help my chances. Is this appropriate to include? or would it just piss them off a little that I took it upon myself to add more to my application?

Thanks for responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would get a letter from someone at your old university then.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would get a letter from someone at your old university then.

I can't, not only did I not take any science courses at my previous university, but my old professors wouldn't be able to pick me out of a line up

Any professors in related subjects that could possibly help you out? For instance, a letter from a math professor for a physics REU is not a problem, even though a physics professor is preferable.

G01 said:
Any professors in related subjects that could possibly help you out? For instance, a letter from a math professor for a physics REU is not a problem, even though a physics professor is preferable.

I could ask a physics professor like i said earlier... I just feel a little awkward asking. I've been to his office hours like twice. The thing that I have going for me with him though is that i got special permission from him to take this class because I didn't have the pre-requisite, and I'm acing the class. Still though, we don't have any sort of a personal relationship... I don't know if its even appropriate to ask.

carboy79 said:
I could ask a physics professor like i said earlier... I just feel a little awkward asking. I've been to his office hours like twice. The thing that I have going for me with him though is that i got special permission from him to take this class because I didn't have the pre-requisite, and I'm acing the class. Still though, we don't have any sort of a personal relationship... I don't know if its even appropriate to ask.

Don't worry about asking your professor for a letter. Writing rec letters is part of a professor's job. Professors write letters for students they don't know well all the time. It's still better than no letter.

On the topic of your TA: The graduate student may know you better, however, a graduate student is not a faculty member, even if they are a TA. You can include the TA's letter if you wish. (It couldn't hurt.) Be aware that it probably won't be given much weight. Thus, you should also have a letter from a faculty member (read: professor).

G01 said:
Don't worry about asking your professor for a letter. Writing rec letters is part of a professor's job. Professors write letters for students they don't know well all the time. It's still better than no letter.

On the topic of your TA: The graduate student may know you better, however, a graduate student is not a faculty member, even if they are a TA. You can include the TA's letter if you wish. (It couldn't hurt.) Be aware that it probably won't be given much weight. Thus, you should also have a letter from a faculty member (read: professor).

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll just gather the courage and ask him. Do you have any advice on my 2nd question?

carboy79 said:
Do you have any advice on my 2nd question?

No one is going to reject your application because you sent an extra paragraph stating your interest or unique circumstances.

That said, don't go overboard:

It's good to point out if you have a unique educational background or personal history.

Beyond that focus it on why you want to go to that REU; Mention specific professors or projects you'd like to work on if possible.

Don't waste time talking about how awesome their department is or talking about high school sports, high school science clubs or honor societies, or other irrelevant stuff.

Sorry more questions... My first bachelors degree is in Political Science. When applying should i send these transcripts? Also should I list this in my CV?

1. What are REUs and why are they important?

REUs, or Research Experiences for Undergraduates, are competitive summer programs funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). They provide undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in a variety of scientific fields. These programs are important because they allow students to gain valuable research experience, explore potential career paths, and build their resumes for future academic and professional opportunities.

2. How do I choose who to ask for letters of recommendation?

When choosing who to ask for letters of recommendation, it is important to consider individuals who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in a research setting. This could include professors, research advisors, or mentors who have worked closely with you. It is also helpful to choose individuals who can speak to different aspects of your skills and character.

3. How should I approach potential letter writers?

When approaching potential letter writers, it is important to be polite and professional. It is best to ask in person or via email, providing them with information about the REU program and why you are interested in applying. Be sure to give them enough time to write the letter and provide any necessary materials, such as your resume, personal statement, and a description of the program.

4. What should be included in a personal statement for an REU application?

A personal statement for an REU application should highlight your academic background, research experience, and career goals. It should also explain why you are interested in the specific REU program and how it aligns with your interests and goals. Additionally, you can include any relevant skills, achievements, or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the program.

5. How can I make my application stand out to REU programs?

To make your application stand out to REU programs, it is important to have a strong resume, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Additionally, you can stand out by showcasing any relevant research experience, academic achievements, or leadership positions. It is also helpful to tailor your application to each specific program and demonstrate a genuine interest in the research being conducted.