Solving a Delta Connected Induction Machine Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a \Delta connected induction machine starting from a 480V, 60 Hz source. The motor ratings include 4 poles, \Delta connection, and various values for X_{ls}, X_{lr}, X_m, R_s, and R_r. The goal is to find the current in the windings, torque of the motor, and the current at the line side. The equations used include I_S, I_R, P_{gap}, and T, with an example provided for reference. The attempt at a solution involves finding values for I_S, I_R, P_{gap}, and T using given equations and values. However, it is unclear which value represents the current at the line side and
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

A [tex]\Delta[/tex] connected induction machine is to start from a source of 480V, 60 Hz.

The motor ratings are :

4 poles, [tex]\Delta[/tex] connected, 480V, 60 Hz, [tex]X_{ls}\,=\,X_{lr}\,=\,4\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]X_m\,=\,50\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]R_s\,=\,0.25\,\Omega[/tex], [tex]R_r\,=\,0.4\,\Omega[/tex].

Find the current in the windings and the torque of the motor and the current at the line side.

Homework Equations

[tex]I_S\,=\,\frac{V_{l-l}}{\left(R_s\,+\,j\,X_{ls}\right)\,+\,\left(j\,X_m\,||\,R_r\,+\,j\,X_{lr}\right)}[/tex]

[tex]I_R\,=\,I_S\,\frac{j\,X_m}{R_r\,+j\,X_{lr}\,+\,j\,X_m}[/tex]

[tex]P_{gap}\,=\,n_{ph}\,|I_R|^2\,\left(\frac{R_r}{s}\right)[/tex]

Where [tex]n_{ph}[/tex] is number of stator phases.

[tex]T\,=\,3\,\frac{P_{gap}}{\omega_s}\,\frac{p}{2}[/tex]

Where p is number of poles.

The above equations are not given explicitly anywhere, but an example uses them so I think they are right.

The Attempt at a Solution

At starting, s = 1.

[tex]I_S\,=\,\frac{480}{\left(0.25\,+\,j\,4\right)\,+\,\left(j\,50\,||\,0.4\,+\,j\,4\right)}\,=\,62.1^{\angle\,-85.6^{\circ}}[/tex]

[tex]I_R\,=\,\left(62.1^{\angle\,-85.6^{\circ}}\right)\,\frac{j\,50}{0.4\,+j\,4\,+\,j\,50}\,=\,57.5^{\angle\,-85.2^{\circ}}[/tex]

[tex]P_{gap}\,=\,(3)\,(57.5)^2\,(0.4)\,=\,3967.5[/tex]

[tex]T\,=\,3\,\left(\frac{3967.5}{377}\right)\,\left(\frac{0.4}{1}\right)\,=\,63.14\,Nm[/tex]

Does that look right? How do I get the current at the line side?

Physics news on Phys.org

I found an equation that will possibly give line side current...

[tex]I_{line}\,=\,\sqrt{3}\,I_{ph}[/tex]

But what is [tex]I_{ph}[/tex]? Is it [tex]I_S[/tex] or [tex]I_R[/tex]?

1. How do I determine the values of the resistances and inductances in a delta connected induction machine?

In order to determine the values of the resistances and inductances in a delta connected induction machine, you will need to use the equations provided in your homework problem. These equations are typically based on the physical characteristics of the machine, such as the number of turns in each coil and the dimensions of the machine. You may also need to use experimental data or reference tables to find the values of certain parameters.

2. What is the purpose of solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem?

The purpose of solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem is to understand the mathematical principles behind the operation of these types of machines. By solving these problems, you will gain a deeper understanding of the physical processes that occur in the machine and how different parameters affect its performance. This knowledge is crucial for designing and optimizing these machines for various applications.

3. What are the common assumptions made when solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem?

One common assumption made when solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem is that the machine is operating under steady-state conditions. This means that the parameters of the machine, such as the rotor speed and the voltage applied to the stator, are not changing over time. Additionally, certain simplifications may be made to the equations, such as neglecting losses or assuming ideal operating conditions.

4. How do I check if my solution to a delta connected induction machine homework problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a delta connected induction machine homework problem is correct, you can compare your results to known values or experimental data. You can also use simulation software to model the machine and compare your results to the simulation. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and ensuring that all units are consistent can help identify any errors in your solution.

5. What are some tips for solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem?

Some tips for solving a delta connected induction machine homework problem include carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, identifying the relevant equations and parameters, and organizing your calculations to avoid errors. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use simulation software to visualize the problem. Finally, always double-check your calculations and results to ensure accuracy.