Integration with x denominator plus a few antiderivative concept questions

In summary: That is, if you have du/dx somewhere in the original integral, you can use u= "whatever you had for x" and du= (du/dx) dx= "something times dx" to replace "something times dx" in the integral. If you have "something times dx" in the original integral, you can use u= "whatever you had for x" and du= "something times dx" to replace "something times dx" in the original integral. It is not always easy to see what that "something" is but that is the only reason for substitution. For example, let's try to evaluate int x^2 sqrt(x
haiku11

Homework Statement

v(t) = (-2 / (1 + 2t)) + 2
I must find the antiderivative s(t) such that s(0) = 5.

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 1 + 2t du/dt = 2 dt = du/2

√(-2 / (1 + 2t dt)) + 2
=√(-2u^-1 du/2) + 2
=√(-u^-1 du) + 2
= -ln|1+2t| + 2t + C

At t = 0
-ln(1 + 2(0)) + 2(0) + C = 5
-ln1 + C = 5
C = 5

s(t) = -ln|1+2t| + 2t + 5

I'm not sure if this is right, I derived it back and I got the original but there are so many things that are making me doubt myself. I have to do an antiderivative assignment without any prior knowledge so the only source I have is the internet which sometimes conflicts with itself. I read somewhere that if you have 1/x you get the special case of x^(-1 + 1) / (-1 + 1) in which case it becomes ln|x|. Is this true? Because http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090226170743AA3XucJ" says it's log x instead.

Also the dt is supposed to come right after each occurence of t right? Because that's what happens when you derive.

And finally (hopefully) when do I have to use substitution like I did in this question? Is it only in situations like log (1+x) or 2(2+x) or 123/(5+2x)? And I have to encompass everything in the bracket in the substitution right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are trying to do. You start with v(t) = expression and then out of nowhere, a square root pops up.

Oh I forgot to say √ is supposed to be the integration symbol.

haiku11 said:

Homework Statement

v(t) = (-2 / (1 + 2t)) + 2
I must find the antiderivative s(t) such that s(0) = 5.

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 1 + 2t du/dt = 2 dt = du/2

√(-2 / (1 + 2t dt)) + 2
If you are integrating -2/(1+ 2t)+ 2 then it is int -2/(1+ 2t)+ 2 dt. You certainly don't put the "dt" down in the denominator! Fortunately that doesn't hurt because you can hurt because you can integrate "2 dt" separately.

Oh, and why was this title "with x denominator" when there is no "x" in the problem?

=√(-2u^-1 du/2) + 2
=√(-u^-1 du) + 2
= -ln|1+2t| + 2t + C

At t = 0
-ln(1 + 2(0)) + 2(0) + C = 5
Where did this come from? Please don't add information in the middle of the problem!

-ln1 + C = 5
C = 5

s(t) = -ln|1+2t| + 2t + 5

I'm not sure if this is right, I derived it back and I got the original but there are so many things that are making me doubt myself. I have to do an antiderivative assignment without any prior knowledge so the only source I have is the internet which sometimes conflicts with itself. I read somewhere that if you have 1/x you get the special case of x^(-1 + 1) / (-1 + 1)
No, that's wrong. You do not get that because the integral of x^n is x^{n+1}/(n+1) only if n is not 0.

in which case it becomes ln|x|. Is this true?
"in which case" what becomes ln|x|?

That person and that calculator are wrong. Unfortunately, because so many text problems use only positive values for x, it is easy to forget about the absolute value. If x is not positive, ln(x) is not defined.

Problem: Find the area between y= 1/x and the x-axis for x= 1 to 2.
Answer: int_1^2 1/x dx= ln|x| evaluated between 1 and 2= ln|2|- ln|1|= ln|2|. Here, it would not have hurt to write ln x instead of ln|x| because all numbers involved are positive.

Problem: Find the area between y= 1/x and the x-axis for x= -2 to -1.
Answer: because 1/x is below 0 for x< 0, the area is int_(-2)^(-1) (0- 1/x)dx= -int_(-2)^(-1) 1/x dx= -(ln|x|) evaluated between -2 and -1= -(ln|-1|- ln|-2|)= -(-ln(2))= ln(2). If we had not used the absolute value here, we would get no answer at all: ln(-1) and ln(-2) are not defined (as real numbers).

Also the dt is supposed to come right after each occurence of t right? Because that's what happens when you derive.
I have no idea what you are saying. What do you mean by "Because that's what happens when you derive"? Can you give an example of such differentiation? What that why you had "1+ 2t dt" in the denominator before? That is wrong. An integral is always of the form int f(x) dx no matter how complicated f(x) is.

And finally (hopefully) when do I have to use substitution like I did in this question? Is it only in situations like log (1+x) or 2(2+x) or 123/(5+2x)? And I have to encompass everything in the bracket in the substitution right?
You use a substitution when it helps and when you can! If you set u= "some expression in x" and du is not a constant (the expression is not linear), then the derivative of u will have to already be in the integral- you cannot just "divide" by it like you can "multiply" by the derivative using the chain rule.

For example, if the problem is to integrate (3x- 1)^5 dx, I can let u= 3x- 1, which is linear. du= 3dx so that dx= (1/3)du. The integral becomes u^5(1/3)du and I can take the constant 1/3 outside the integral.

But if the problem is to integrate (x^2- 1)^5 dx, I cannot let u= x^2- 1. If I were to do that, du= 2xdx so dx= (1/(2x))du. But I cannot integrate u^5(1/(2x))du because I still have that "x" in the integrand. And I cannot take it outside the integral because it is a variable, not a constant.

If the problem were to integrate x(x^2- 1)^5 dx, then I can use that substitution: u= x^2- 1 so du= 2xdx and xdx= (1/2)du. x(x^2-1)^5 dx= (x^2-1)^5(xdx)= u^5((1/2)du) and I can take that constant, 1/2, outside the integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are integrating -2/(1+ 2t)+ 2 then it is int -2/(1+ 2t)+ 2 dt. You certainly don't put the "dt" down in the denominator! Fortunately that doesn't hurt because you can hurt because you can integrate "2 dt" separately.
What do you mean? Would 2 dt become a single term?

HallsofIvy said:
Where did this come from? Please don't add information in the middle of the problem!
-ln|1+2t| + 2t + C is supposed to be the antiderivative s(t) and the following is solving for C at s(0).

No, that's wrong. You do not get that because the integral of x^n is x^{n+1}/(n+1) only if n is not 0.
I thought it's only if n is not -1 because then it would become x^0 / 0, then you have to use ln|x|?

Sorry I missed a lot of things in this question.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is used to solve problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. What is a denominator in integration?

In integration, the denominator refers to the number or expression in the bottom of a fraction. It is used to indicate the number of equal parts into which the whole is divided.

3. How is integration related to antiderivatives?

Antiderivatives are the inverse operations of derivatives, just like integration. In fact, integration is also known as finding the antiderivative of a function. The process of finding antiderivatives is used to solve integration problems.

4. Can you give an example of integration with a denominator?

Yes, for example, the integral of 1/x with respect to x is ln|x| + C, where C is the constant of integration. Here, the denominator is x, and the antiderivative is ln|x|.

5. How can the concept of integration with a denominator be applied in real life?

Integration with a denominator has many practical applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, determining the total mass of an object with varying density, and finding the total revenue of a business with varying sales. These are just a few examples of how integration with a denominator can be applied in real life situations.