Exploring Classical Electrodynamics for QED: A Time-Saving Guide

In summary, a UK PhD student is looking to improve their understanding of classical electrodynamics but does not have much time for self-study. They are seeking recommendations for a shorter path through Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, with a focus on relevant parts for QED. Another suggestion is to read Landau & Lifgarbagez's The Classical Theory of Fields instead.
muppet
Hi all,

I'd like to improve my understanding of classical electrodynamics, but as a UK PhD student my time for self-study is pretty limited- we don't make much time for general physics education at a graduate level. I was wondering if someone could recommend a short path through Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, with particular emphasis on those parts relevant for QED- e.g. stuff relating to bremstrahlung and other radiative corrections. It's not that I can't be bothered to read the full thing, just that I don't have time right now to be slogging through waveguides etc. whilst I'm already trying to deepen my understanding of QFT and do research with what I do already know.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try Landau & Lifgarbagez, The Classical Theory of Fields instead.

1. What is "Exploring Classical Electrodynamics for QED: A Time-Saving Guide"?

"Exploring Classical Electrodynamics for QED: A Time-Saving Guide" is a comprehensive guide that explains the fundamentals of classical electrodynamics and its application in quantum electrodynamics (QED). It provides a time-saving approach to understanding the complex principles of QED.

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

The guide is primarily aimed at students and researchers in the field of quantum electrodynamics who have a basic understanding of classical electrodynamics. However, it can also be useful for anyone interested in learning about the principles and applications of classical electrodynamics and QED.

3. What are the benefits of using this guide?

This guide offers a time-saving approach to learning classical electrodynamics for QED. It breaks down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations and provides practical applications of these principles. It also includes helpful tips and tricks for solving problems and saving time in calculations.

4. Is prior knowledge of classical electrodynamics required?

While prior knowledge of classical electrodynamics is beneficial, it is not a prerequisite for using this guide. The guide provides a brief review of the fundamentals of classical electrodynamics before delving into its application in QED.

5. Can this guide be used as a standalone resource for learning QED?

This guide is meant to be used as a supplement to other resources and textbooks on QED. While it covers the basics of classical electrodynamics and its application in QED, it is not a comprehensive resource for learning QED on its own.