Electron moving from point A to B. electron potential higher?

In summary: Electric potential is the measure of work required by an electric field to move a charge. If Electric Potential, V, = PE/Qelectron , then how is Δ(V) related to Δ(PE) ?Electric potential is the measure of work required by an electric field to move a charge. If Electric Potential, V, = PE/Qelectron then Δ(V) = Δ(PE)
rcmango

Homework Statement

An electron , influenced only by electric fields and forces, moves from A to B. When it reaches B, its speed is higher than it was at A. Is the electric potential higher at A or at B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So as the electron gets closer to B, the potential rises. So as the potential rises, the electron gets closer, the EPE, it also rises. As the EPE increases the kinetic energy decreases for the electron and it begins to slow down, the energy is never lost, it is transferred. So the electric potential would be great at B?

Physics news on Phys.org
rcmango said:
So as the electron gets closer to B, the potential rises.
Correct.
So as the potential rises, the electron gets closer, the EPE, it also rises. As the EPE increases the kinetic energy decreases for the electron and it begins to slow down, the energy is never lost, it is transferred. So the electric potential would be great at B?
How could the kinetic energy decrease when the problem clearly states that the speed of the electron increases when it moves from A to B? Sounds to me that potential energy is traded for a gain in kinetic energy.

rcmango said:

Homework Statement

An electron , influenced only by electric fields and forces, moves from A to B. When it reaches B, its speed is higher than it was at A. Is the electric potential higher at A or at B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So as the electron gets closer to B, the potential rises. So as the potential rises, the electron gets closer, the EPE, it also rises. As the EPE increases the kinetic energy decreases for the electron and it begins to slow down, the energy is never lost, it is transferred. So the electric potential would be great at B?
rcmango said:
So as the electron gets closer to B, the potential rises.
Correct.
So as the potential rises, the electron gets closer, the EPE, it also rises. As the EPE increases the kinetic energy decreases for the electron and it begins to slow down, the energy is never lost, it is transferred. So the electric potential would be great at B?
How could the kinetic energy decrease when the problem clearly states that the speed of the electron increases when it moves from A to B? Sounds to me that potential energy is traded for a gain in kinetic energy.

What is the sign of the change in electric potential and what is the sign of the change in electric potential energy?

Okay, I realized that I missed something in the question where it said it was gaining speed.

So, as the electron is approaching B, its potential is rising, as the potential is rising so is the Electric potential energy, it is also rising. The electric Potential is higher at B, how can I prove this though? I'm not sure how?

Is the electric charge of an electron positive, or is it negative?

What's the definition of electric potential?

the electron charge is negative.

Electric potential: measure of work required by an electric field to move a charge. (Voltage)

rcmango said:
the electron charge is negative.

Electric potential: measure of work required by an electric field to move a charge. (Voltage)
What is your textbook's definition of Electric Potential ?

The textbook explanation is simply that electric potential is equal to electric potential energy per unit charge.

rcmango said:
Okay, I realized that I missed something in the question where it said it was gaining speed.

So, as the electron is approaching B, its potential is rising, as the potential is rising so is the Electric potential energy, it is also rising. The electric Potential is higher at B, how can I prove this though? I'm not sure how?
As the electron approaches B its speed is higher than it was at A ... so does the Kinetic Energy increase from A to B or does it decrease?

Using that answer & conservation of energy, is the electron's Potential Energy higher -- or is it lower -- at B than at A? In other words, is Δ(PE) positive or negative in going from A to B ?

If Electric Potential, V, = PE/Qelectron , then how is Δ(V) related to Δ(PE) ?

What is an electron and how does it move?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom. It moves through a process called electron flow, where it travels from one atom to another.

What is electron potential?

Electron potential, also known as electric potential, is the amount of energy an electron has at a specific point in space. It is measured in volts and can vary depending on the presence of electric fields.

Why does an electron move from point A to B?

An electron moves from point A to B due to a difference in electron potential. Electrons naturally move from areas of high potential to low potential, creating an electric current.

What happens when an electron moves to a point with a higher potential?

When an electron moves to a point with a higher potential, it gains energy. This energy can be used to power devices or perform work.

What factors affect the movement of electrons?

The movement of electrons can be affected by the presence of electric fields, the material the electrons are moving through, and the amount of resistance in the circuit. Other factors such as temperature and light can also impact electron movement.