What part of the electromagnetic spectrum is not considered as light?

In summary, all of the electromagnetic radiation is not considered as light, but that is mainly a casual usage.
Marketo
I know that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation but I know that all electromagnetic radiation is not light. I know that light has four basic properties:

1) Light travels in straight lines.
2)Light can reflect.
3)Light can bend.
4)Light is a form of energy

What I want to know is what part of the electromagnetic spectrum is not considered as light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, all of the spectrum is light. In terms of common usage, I would say that the ultraviolet, infrared and visible spectrums are usually referred to as light. But I only state that in terms of casual usage.

But my optics teacher who is a Ph D in laser physics told me that all of the electromagnetic spectrum is not considered as light, are you sure about that all of the parts of electromagnetic spectrum can be refracted, reflected and travel in straight lines?

Marketo said:
But my optics teacher who is a Ph D in laser physics told me that all of the electromagnetic spectrum is not considered as light, are you sure about that all of the parts of electromagnetic spectrum can be refracted, reflected and travel in straight lines?

Sure. It's all a matter of scale. But that isn't the definition of light. Light is electromagnetic waves, which covers the entire spectrum by definition. But like I said above, especially being an optics major, in terms of casual reference people probably only call infrared to ultraviolet as being light. Outside of that they may call it radiation or waves. But the frequency doesn't change the basic physics of the wave for the most part (except for the divergence from classical electromagnetics that you are going to see as you go to higher frequencies).

It has always been my understanding that "light" is that part of the electromagnetic spectrum that can be detected when it enters the eye. The relevant wavelenghts range from about 400 -750 nm. Electromagnetic radiation whose photons have wavelengths outside this range are therefore invisible to the eye and go by names other than "light" e.g. ultraviolet, x-rays, etc.

The whole naming thing gets a bit confused when one talks about sunlight for instance. This term can apply to the unique mix of colors seen my the eye, or to the infrared and ultraviolet radiations that penetrate the atmosphere as well.

One must take the use of the word light in the proper context.

Hope this helps.

The term 'light' is used in practice to those e-m spectrum, which is ruled by the same optics (in practical sense) as 'visual light'. Telecom engineers using mostly 1550nm infrared, refer to it as to 'light' - and they use glass lens, silvered mirrors, Fabry-Perot filters, etc., virtually the same as in visual optics. Photolitography engineers use 200nm ultraviolet, and they still call it 'light'.
But I can't see any more precise distinction than 'applicability of visual light optics' and 'not too-far extension of meaning of "visual light" '

It would be rather unusual to call 1 nm X-rays or 1 mm-microwaves 'a light'.

"Light" is any electromagnetic traveling wave, which includes the entire electromagnetic spectrum. "Visible light" is any em traveling wave of a wavelength that the human eye can detect, typically 390 to 750 nm. Aside from the wavelength, there is nothing physically different between visible light and other wavelengths. Radio waves can reflect, refract, travel, and carry energy just as well as a red laser beam if they encounter scale-equivalent objects. The confusion comes because historically, radio waves looked different at first than visible light, so the word "light" historically only meant visible light.

Note, there are electromagnetic field configurations that are not traveling waves and therefore cannot be considered light, such as the electrostatic field created by static charges, the magnetostatic field created by static magnets or steady electric currents, or induction fields created by time-varying magnetic fields that vary slow enough to not induce a significant displacement current.

xts said:
It would be rather unusual to call 1 nm X-rays or 1 mm-microwaves 'a light'.

The x-ray community does, at least in naming their light sources. "Linac Coherent Light Source", "Advanced Light Source".

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes all forms of light, as well as other types of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. Which part of the electromagnetic spectrum is considered as light?

The part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is considered as light is the visible light range, which includes wavelengths from approximately 400 to 700 nanometers. This is the range of wavelengths that the human eye can see.

3. What part of the electromagnetic spectrum is not considered as light?

The part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is not considered as light is the range of wavelengths outside of the visible light range. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. Why is the visible light range considered as light?

The visible light range is considered as light because these wavelengths are able to stimulate the cells in our eyes and create visual perception. Our eyes have evolved to detect and process light in this range, making it the most important part of the electromagnetic spectrum for our sight.

5. Can any other part of the electromagnetic spectrum be perceived by humans?

Humans are not able to perceive the other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays, without the use of specialized equipment. However, some animals have evolved to be able to sense these types of radiation.